Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 230 Posts

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1/24/13 Put the pair into spawn tank. Both are virgins and full grown so I wasnt sure if it would take.
1/26/13 Came home and finally saw a small nest. Was hoping for eggs, but didnt see any.
1/27/13 Came home and saw that nest size had doubled, and male was still chasing off my female, but didnt notice any eggs. Looked again a few hours later and noticed there were some eggs, although I'm not sure how many as there are tons of plants near, under, and above the nest blocking my view. Couldnt figure out how to remove the female without disturbing the nest too much, but finally got her out and now the male is playing daddy without any distractions.

I've never had any eggs actually hatch, not sure why, but hopefully this time will work! I absolutely love the coloration on both of these guys so I am very interested to see how these fry will color up.

Will Keep you all updated on any progress (or failures) having to do with this spawn! Wish me luck!!

Now for some pictures :)

Mom & Dad

Dad

Dad blowing eggs back into the nest

Nest

Wish me luck!!! :D

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you! I cant wait either! I hope they will hatch this time!

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
Holy... That pair is beyond words... Seriously, my jaw just dropped, especially seeing the male. And blue eyes too! If only I could get another... *stares at the pictures forlornly*

Maybe I would be able to by the time the babies are ready? Le sigh. A girl could dream.

Good luck though. They really look like a fantastic combination.

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Holy... That pair is beyond words... Seriously, my jaw just dropped, especially seeing the male. And blue eyes too! If only I could get another... *stares at the pictures forlornly*

Maybe I would be able to by the time the babies are ready? Le sigh. A girl could dream.

Good luck though. They really look like a fantastic combination.

Well, you have about 3 months to figure it out!
I'm planning to cull down to about 50-75 if I have anymore than that. But that should leave enough for anyone on here than wants some to get them after I pick out which I want to keep and possibly send to shows (depending on fry quality) or possibly make an F2 from.

thanks inareverie -- I was really lucky to get this girl! I didnt get a clear picture of her but the seller said she was a jaw dropper and I believed him. Hopefully some of the babies will catch her coloration.

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
Three months? Early graduation present, it is! Well, that is if I'm allowed... xD

If you don't mind me asking so soon, approximately how much per fish are you thinking?

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ehh. It depends on the quality you are looking for, and the quality they end up being. At the moment my thinking is $10-25.

·
Registered
2,769 Posts
Three months from now would be end of March....

Do you think you'd be shipping to Canada or US only?

They're a super great looking couple though, and either way wanna see how the fry turn out =)

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
More than likely only shipping to the US. I have never looked into shipping into canada, but I assume I'd need some sort of license to do so, or atleast send to a transhipper. I have a feeling it'd be pretty costly either way and unless I had a huge order from Canada I dont think it'd be worth it as I'd have to up prices to make up for the license.
But, if anyone knows about shipping live animals to canada, and would like to enlighten me on the process and costs, I'm willing to look into it!

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
Momma made me squee! She is certainly something special!! Depending on where we are in 3 months, I may have to make a roadtrip down to you! lol

·
Registered
677 Posts
I love the mom so much. I hope some babies look like her!

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks everyone!
Hoping I'll have some babies hatching tomorrow afternoon sometime.
Temp is at about 83* and dad is still guarding them with his life, haven't noticed him eat any, hopefully that is a good sign!

·
Registered
965 Posts
Beautiful pair! Best of luck.

1 - 20 of 230 Posts