Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
New to breeding but have been obsessing over betta fish for a long time. I got both Max (Male Blue Rim PK) and Ginny (Female Red PK) from Betta California in February. He breeds as well as sells imports from Vietnam. Before the pandemic hit I was able to visit his home where he kept all his bettas for sale. I was like a kid at a candy store to say the least. This project has kept me sane and happy through these tough times. My main goal is to discover first hand how color, fin, and body shape is passed on.

Max

Ginny after breeding (fins a bit torn and stressed but she is better now).

February 15, 2020
  • Took home Max and Ginny
April 14, 2020
  • Moved Ginny to breeding tank.
  • Max was already there.
April 18, 2020
  • Released Ginny
  • Covered the tank for privacy
April 19, 2020
  • The Embrace
Apri 20, 2020
  • Successful mating
  • many white eggs on the bubble nest
  • Ginny scooped out of breeding tank
April 21, 2020
  • Eggs started hatching
  • many tails hanging from nest
April 22, 2020
  • some fry are beginning to swim horizontally
April 23, 2020
  • Max scooped out of tank
  • first feeding with microworms and BBS
  • like some posts in this forum it took a while for the fry to figure out that the microworms sink but they eventually got there.
  • Max was a diligent father. Always on the lookout for babies falling off and making more bubbles. (it was a pleasure watching him)
1 week old fry
  • so smol......
  • I had a hydra problem! Some fry didn't make it. I manually removed the hydra by carefully scraping and siphoning with air hose and feeding less BBS.
  • They like to sleep like this on the corner of the tank.
3 week old fry
  • one of the biggest fry started getting this translucent iridescent blue color.
Today: 5 week old fry
  • started feeding frozen Daphnia along with microworms and BBS
  • I have about 30-40 fry
  • 40% are large, ~ 3/4 in
  • 30% are medium, 1/2 in
  • 30% are small, <1/2 in

Current set up:
fry tank on the bottom.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Gorgeous parents, and the fry are so cute!! I can't wait to see how they grow up.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A 6.5 week old fry update. They have become ravenous. Within seconds all the BBS I put is gone so I've been putting 3x more food. I've started feeding frozen food as well. How much and how often should I be feeding them at this age? Should I keep feeding until they have bulging bellies or is that too much? I feed them 2x a day sometimes 3x.

There is one biggest fry, about 1 in long. He/she is loosing the blue tint and starting to develop white iridescent scales like the dad and the blue rim around the caudal and anal fins (pictured). Most of the fry are still blueish and around 1/2-3/4in. A handful are teeny tiny still.

When should I start separating the biggest ones to a new tank? It's starting to look crowded in the 10 gallon. I have another 10 gallon that i've started cycling.

·
Super Moderator
5,970 Posts
Feeding 2-3x a day is fine.
Same as adults, frequent small feedings are better than one big ration.

Depending on space (available tanks), I'd like to separate as soon as possible. If separated when bigger, they often become aggressive. Especially if food is scarce.

If not disturbed/no stress since small, whether from moving, water changing, or lack of food, they usually stay docile longer - usually until they become sexually mature and want to spawn. And spawning instincts may kick in at a later age.

Moving the size of 1" sometimes makes them aggressive. Try not to stress - lure with food. When they approach, scoop gently with cup and move (make sure water temp in both tanks are similar).

It takes much longer and demands patience. But to me, it's better than having to jar tens to hundreds, which in the long run means more work and longer time to feed individually.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Feeding 2-3x a day is fine.
Same as adults, frequent small feedings are better than one big ration.

Depending on space (available tanks), I'd like to separate as soon as possible. If separated when bigger, they often become aggressive. Especially if food is scarce.

If not disturbed/no stress since small, whether from moving, water changing, or lack of food, they usually stay docile longer - usually until they become sexually mature and want to spawn. And spawning instincts may kick in at a later age.

Moving the size of 1" sometimes makes them aggressive. Try not to stress - lure with food. When they approach, scoop gently with cup and move (make sure water temp in both tanks are similar).

It takes much longer and demands patience. But to me, it's better than having to jar tens to hundreds, which in the long run means more work and longer time to feed individually.
Ok. Thank you. I will start moving the bigger ones to the other tank.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Woke up today and found that I forgot to turn the heater back on after the water change yesterday!!!!!! The fry look like they are doing ok but the temp was at 70. I feel horrible. Are they going to be ok?

·
Registered
41 Posts
They will be okay, maybe a short break in growing. But the water had slowly loose the temperature so there was no temperatur shock for them and their not super new fry anymore. You could also rise betta at a low temperature, but higher provides better and faster growth.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
they should be okay! ❤ sorry I didn't check in sooner. If your fry were younger/smaller the temperature drop would have probably been a bigger risk.

Reactions: Zellie

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
The fry are about 2months old now. It’s very very interesting to see them change colors. The biggest one (about 1/4 inch bigger than everyone) for example used to be light blue as pictured above but in the past week he/she turned cellophane and started developing barely visible orange patches. I’ll call him/her #1

Here is a blurry pic because they swim so fast

There is another fry that stands out who must be a boy because he is very aggressive, nipping at the others. So I isolated him in the floating breeding box. He was completely royal blue but quickly reverse marbled overnight (is that e right term). He is looking violet at the moment. He will be called #2.

A lot of the fry are still blue some very dark blue as #2 once was. Others are turning a beautiful shade of Iridescent white with a tint of purple.

This one is wearing blue lipstick. Behind blue lipstick is a pretty iridescent light purple. It’s hard to capture the color in photo but I have some videos I will uplo

more pictures of my babies:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
More pictures from today
This is #2, temporarily out of water for water change. You can really see his iridescent beauty here

Others look like this: they look unreal like, the Lisa frank collection.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts