Betta Fish Forum banner
41 - 60 of 478 Posts
Discussion starter · #42 ·
Haha I'll definitely keep that in mind! I don't want to be wearing live fish either. I actually have a hood on the tank that I am going to put them in just need to cover the part where the filter sits. I've found that if they don't know there is a hole there, then they won't bother with it. Or at least that seems to be my luck with my previous edithae pair, and my now apiapi and hendra pair.

Discussion starter · #43 ·
Journal Update:

It's Wednesday again, and time for another journal update! :-D

So after my little scare with Nugget, he was bottom sitting a lot, he is doing wonderful now! *knocks on wood* He has finally realized that I feed him and he comes right up to me whenever he sees me in my room. Going to have to get him a better filter because I didn't realize that the aquaclear one I have doesn't do as much as I thought it did :roll: Now I just need to decide if I want to buy the aquaclear 110 or the marine land 350...

All the bettas are doing good! Although Yuki some how managed to rip his fin, and looks like a little fin rot is trying to set in, so off to the hospital tank for him. Other than that no other incidents to report. My sp. apiapi and hendra are doing great, and they both love my white worm culture :lol: Now just to get them to breed...
Also I cannot wait for my unimaculata pair to come and Corwin, from Lil, of course :love: My Dad can not wait for the unimaculata pair to come in too, because he'll "finally be able to see my fish" :lol:

Discussion starter · #44 ·
Journal Update:

Got Yuki into the hospital tank, so I can get his little bit of fin rot cured up. I'm not normally one for using a bunch of meds, but I thought aq. salt would be best so I can nip this in the butt, pardon the expression ;-) Did a water change on the 10 gal. that Yuki, and Mochi share. Some of my older leaves on the Amazon Swords were looking a little sorry, so I cut those. Everything else is looking good. And everyone is doing great! *knock on wood*

Nugget has decided that he likes to dig up my new plastic plants that I put in there to decorate his tank for halloween. Guess I'll have to put the stems on those weighted bottoms instead. Also got him the 350 bio-wheel from Marine Land. Hope it does ok since I've seen that it has 50-50 reviews >.<

Also on another side note, I've been helping some people on fb with their fish problems. One of the people looked to be having a bit of fungal infection going on, but it wasn't nothing serious yet. The other person was one that I had posted in the petstore bystander thread about. This person has a 10 gal. tank with mollies, plecos, bettas (both male and female), and a couple other fish I can't think of right off my head. Let's just say that it was crowded. Well long story short the past couple of days the person has had a massive die off and now all that is left is one molly, and the bettas. What mainly caused the issue was that the person went out and bought another fish to put in there and instead of quarantining they just went ahead, and dumped the fish in there. Over crowded tank + new fish not quarantined= Big Disaster. I feel bad for her, but then again I don't. Is that bad?

Discussion starter · #45 ·
Journal Update:

Everyone is doing great! And Yuki has gotten over his little episode of fin rot. Going to give him another day or two in the hospital tank to make sure it is gone, and then back into the 10 gal. he goes.

My other animals are doing good, and I trimmed my horses hooves yesterday. They both stood on one of my feet each and now I have bruises >.< But they are still perfect little guys :love: I've also been taking Jack, the smallest one, with me jogging in the evening and he really has been enjoying it. I think it is fun too!

Haven't heard from Jotya yet about my unimaculata pair getting shipped out yet :/ They were suppose to Friday, and I've messaged him today, but haven't heard anything yet.

Discussion starter · #46 ·
Journal Update:

So I cleaned like everyone's tank yesterday, except Goober II's, and Nugget's. Nothing else has changed much though. Everyone is doing good ^.^ Yuki did get over his fin rot and is now back on his side of his and Mochi's 10 gal. I'll just say he is soooo much happier being back in there xD

I did learn that Joyta forgot to ship out everyone's fish on the 11th, due to traveling :O So now he's going to ship my unimaculata pair out on the 22nd, which is next Tuesday. Can't wait to get them ^.^ My 20 gal. is just waiting to have fish back in it again.

Also on another fishy note, I "accidentally" went onto aquabid yesterday to just "look". :roll: Normally I'm pretty good at just looking and then keep going on, but I found this boy...

Look at that 3" :shock: He is a big boy! And I've been wanting a giant since I sold Tucker :-? But what really sold me is that he isn't that expensive...and he looks almost exactly like a plakat I used to own back in college, that lived for 2 years. He was the same exact "purple-y" color with the red wash in is fins. I really don't need to but I seriously might buy this boy and throw him in my other 10 gal. and then throw my hendra pair that are in there and put them in a 5.5 gal. tank. I'll let y'all know what I decide xD

Discussion starter · #47 ·
Another Journal Update:

So I bought the 5.5 gal. and I'm going to throw my hendra pair in there tomorrow. I placed a bid on the giant, so fingers crossed that I get him~

Discussion starter · #48 ·
Journal Update:

I have so many this week D: Journal updates that is

So I won the Giant ^.^ I cannot wait to get him. The 10 gal. is all set up and waiting for him. I moved my Hendra pair to the 5 gal tank, and the male is already trying to set up a nest and is starting to chase the female. Then my apiapi pair, the male is doing the same thing. So fingers crossed I have spawns from both of them this weekend. Super exciting!

I'm going to see if I can have my Unimaculata pair and the giant shipped to my house from the transhipper together since they are both being shipped out next Tuesday, for the states, at the same time.

Discussion starter · #49 ·
Journal Update:

So I have some sad news to share tonight :-(

While I was feeding last night, my Mom pointed out that Yuki didn't seem right, he was hiding and gasping for breath. So I checked him out and he seemed fine besides the hiding and the gasping, and Mochi is fine and doing well. So I figured that maybe he was just being weird, even though he normally comes up to the front of the tank when I feed or am around. Well he seemed fine this morning and back to his old self so I paid it no mind. Well while I was feeding tonight I found him stuck to the filter intake gone. :cry: I have no idea what hit him. *knock on wood* Mochi is doing fine and eating and my water parameters are doing great. Not too sure what happened to him, and I'm a little devastated because I love blue butterflys and everyone I've ever owned never seems to last more than a couple of months :-?

May you S.I.P. pretty boy :love:

Attachments

I'm very sorry for your loss. I hope Mochi continues to remain healthy for you.

Discussion starter · #51 ·
I'm very sorry for your loss. I hope Mochi continues to remain healthy for you.
Thanks BettaLover! I'm not too sure what happened to him :-(

Mochi is doing great!

Discussion starter · #52 ·
Journal Update:

Everyone is doing well and eating ^.^

Mochi is doing great, even though Yuki has passed. Sometimes I catch him swimming next to the divider peaking over and trying to find Yuki, so he can flare at him. It is kind of sad to see :/ I might stick Corwin in there next week. Speaking of Corwin he arrived safe and sound Monday ^.^ By Tuesday he had already started a bubble nest and he has a nice big one now, that he is trying to maintain. :lol: He is a very spunky guy!

My wilds still haven't breed, but I wish they would get on it soon! I want some fry >.< Oh and speaking of fry, I cleaned up the 20 gal. yesterday for my unimaculata pair that are supposed to have been shipped out yesterday, haven't heard if they are or not yet :/ but anyways while I was cleaning it up, wouldn't you know that I have just 1 random betta edithae fry that has managed to survive! I have no idea what I am going to do with the little guy yet. I probably can't sell him because, to be honest, who wants 1 betta edithae >.<

Nugget is doing great and I'll have to get a picture to show y'all his color change! He has lost a lot of black on him and in his fins. Also I want to show y'all his tank, since I have it decorated for Halloween!

Discussion starter · #53 ·
Another Journal Update:

Hey it is my journal and I can post as often as I want :p

So my giant boy is getting shipped out on Saturday! Along with this pretty lady :love:

By the way she is not a giant! She'll be going in the tank on my night stand because I would love to wake up and see her adorable face, not that I don't want to see my other guys faces too!

Heard back from Joyta, today. He forgot to ship my pair out again >.< He was going to throw in another pair for free but I've kind of gotten impatient with waiting, since my 20 gal. has been sitting since the beginning of the month with nothing in it :roll: Plus I have no where to put an extra pair of betta unimaculata. I'm still contemplating what I want to do with that tank now, I know I want to do something but what?! Maybe get another goldfish, since I've been doing well with Nugget? Make a community out of it? I just don't know...

I love King Betta Farm's fish. If I had the money and was keeping splendens, that's where I would go.

Real shame about the unimaculata pair. If your water is suitable, maybe a pair of apistogramma? That's what I would be doing if I wasn't into wilds and had a spare 20 gallon on hand.

Glad to hear that everyone is well ^^ That female is beautiful!

Discussion starter · #56 ·
LittleBettaFish said:
I love King Betta Farm's fish. If I had the money and was keeping splendens, that's where I would go.

Real shame about the unimaculata pair. If your water is suitable, maybe a pair of apistogramma? That's what I would be doing if I wasn't into wilds and had a spare 20 gallon on hand.
Me too LBF! That is why I couldn't resist her. Plus I get his updates all the time on FB, and she was just calling to me this time.

Yeah I was kind of bummed about them, but then I hate that my tank has been sitting around for almost a month now, waiting for them and they just kept getting forgotten :/ I mean I'll still buy from Joyta, he was really nice, but I don't think I was meant to get them if it has taken this long, and it would have taken longer to get them.

I was talking it over with my sister last night, since she helps me pick out fish sometimes, and we both decided that getting another goldie would be best. I literally have everything for one except an air pump. Plus I wouldn't mind having another one to eat all the food that I purchased since I accidentally ordered the big bag :oops:

BettaLover1313 said:
Glad to hear that everyone is well ^^ That female is beautiful!
Thanks! I cannot wait to get her :O

Discussion starter · #57 · (Edited)
Journal Update:

So I bought myself a goldfish :roll:
Here is the little guy :love: My sister helped me pick him out.

Also my fancy copper gal got shipped out yesterday! Here she is in her bag.

I'm still waiting to hear back about my giant, so fingers crossed he got shipped out yesterday too.

I'm going to find out if my "36" gal. is actually only 36 gal. or is actually 40 gal. because I might throw in another goldfish into my shipping...

Discussion starter · #58 ·
Another Journal Update:

Ok so I did a water check, and a dimension check on my tank and come to find out it is a 40 gallon tank :-? So y'all know what that means ;-) I got another goldie! I also had to upgrade my filter because I only bought a marine land 350, so it doesn't cover the 400gph that I need, plus I have been having a horrible time with that 350 filter. It makes a horrible swishing noise that I haven't been able to stop. It was good for about a month, but it has recently started it again, so if you are thinking about buying it I wouldn't recommend them. I bought an aquaclear 110 instead, I love those filtesr so I hope it does a great job!

So I have heard back about my giant boy and he did get shipped out yesterday! So excited :O
Also my apiapi male has started a nest, and I have seen the female displaying breeding coloring, so hopefully there will be eggs soon! I have noticed that my hendra male has started to hide some, and only come out for dinner, so I'm thinking there might be a nest somewhere in there too, but I'm not too sure yet.

Oh and onto the other goldie that I bought!

Isn't he pretty?! I might end up liking him more than the calico, but don't tell the calico ;-)

Discussion starter · #59 ·
Will be updating my journal on Friday :shock:

Discussion starter · #60 ·
Journal Update:

Will kind of be going over how my week went, since I did a lot :shock:

Monday: I realized that I needed to put Nugget in my lone 20, so I took out all the plants in there and just threw them in random tanks for the time being. Drained all the water, and scooped out as much sand as I could out of there. Then I took the tank outside rinsed it out really good. Bring it back inside, put some black sand in there, just enough to cover the bottom, put new water in there, hooked everything back up, and added my one nice anabius plus Nugget to the tank. That night, since some of the sand had gotten air attached to it, it had almost burned out my Aquaclear 50 that I have running. Luckily I caught it in time before it did that.

Tuesday: I did a half water change on the 5.5, that holds my Hendra pair, and the 10 that was empty. I put most of the plants from the 20 in the 10, so I had to rearrange things and plant. Plus my hornwort in both tanks had gotten out of control, plus they had gotten snail infested. I think I got most of them, or at least I hope so >.<
Later that afternoon I wanted to do a 50% change on the 40, to get it ready for the new goldfish. I was also going to install my Aquaclear 110 that had just come in too. Well, I did the water change, got the Aquaclear out of the box and....I did my measurements wrong >.< I was literally 1/8th of an inch off from it fitting on the tank and the wall. So I had to totally re-drain it and my Dad and I had to pull it out off the wall. Then I had to refill get everything going again, and set up. Lets just say that by the end of the day I was exhausted from all the buckets of water.

Wednesday: I got my goldies in! :O Was very mad at the FedEx guy though, because I watched him kick the box around. Had some choice words with him. The goldies look amazing and I love them :love: Didn't realize though that when Dandy Orandas meant large, they meant full grown. So now I have a full grown 8 to 9" goldfish and a 4 to 5, maybe 6" goldfish. They look funny swimming around together, and they actually do get along too!

Thursday: Didn't go to my aquarium meeting since the hurricane is moving in, and it is ruff outside :/ Bettas came in safe and sound! Although my mail lady left them on the porch without ringing the door bell, and I'm not too sure how long they sat on my porch in the cold >.<

Everyone is doing great! *knock on wood* The goldfish are eating, and swimming, although the little guy is still sitting some. The bettas ate their food last night, and the giant, who I have named Clint, has already taken a liking to me :-D I'm also thinking that maybe in the spring time/November (we have an aquarium auction coming up) that I might trade/sell my 40 for a 55 for the two ryukins. I think they would appreciate that more, plus I basically have the hardware, except the heater, for a 55. Just a thought to think about.

41 - 60 of 478 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.