Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello everyone, please say "hi" to PB! he's a rescue from Petsmart, that's a photo of him the day I brought him home. he is a halfmoon twin tail betta and is a realll trooper.
he's getting over his fin rot, cotton mouth, and some GI issues.
once he's done receiving treatment for those, I was wondering if there's anything I can do to help him regrow his fins? after all the stuff he's gone/going through he deserves to feel pretty
I keep trying to find things online about it, but I can only find remedies for treating fin rot.

Attachments

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I'm sorry the photo is sideways... it right side up on my computer I don't know why it's doing it

·
Registered
249 Posts
I have a fin biter and I've been using Rooibos tea in his water and his fins are growing back nicely...There are a lot of benefits from using the Rooibos (which is actually a legume) Many others use Indian Almond Leaves (AIL) for the same purpose. There's lots of info on the Rooibos, you can do a search in this forum...lots of good stuff ;-)

·
Registered
206 Posts
rooibos tea and betta food. I use Atison's betta pro and give him every week or so frozen brine shrimp he loves it!

·
Registered
696 Posts
I have a HM fin biter, and just fresh clean water is all I give him, and his fins grow back in about a month and a half.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
+1 to all above.

To elaborate on the IAL, and tea. Either of those things adds tannins to the water, which have mild antiseptic properties, and more importantly help mimic a natural fish environment. Rice paddies aren't crystal clear, after all!!
You can also use API Stresscoat, it contains aloe vera, which obviously is great for helping any skin/fin malady. Aloe ftw.
High quality food will also boost regrowth, try upping the protein in his diet. You can supplement with frozen bloodworms and the like. I am not sure what food you feed, but if it's not one of the high quality foods, I'd suggest getting him on one.

The most crucial thing for ANY sick fish is clean, warm water.

Reactions: Hallyx

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank god I already had a betta when I got him, I have the stresscoat.
I can definitely get him rooibos tea and high quality betta food (I was actually looking Atisons!), for now he's eating bloodworms and brine shrimp.

I'm reeeeeeally looking forward to him feeling/looking better. thank you everyone :] i swear this website essentially saved PB <3

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Yeah stresscoat is one of my 'must-haves' now.

If you wanna get legit, Petsmart sells IAL, but it's in the hermit crab section, I believe it's Cappata or something like that. Leaves in a bag, lol. I'm honestly gonna switch back to tea, the leaves at least from there have been hit and miss, with tanning the water. Plus you can control the levels with the tea.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm digging on the tea idea!

How do I do it? Just drop a little bag in over the side, and change it out after a water change? I feel like the tea box isn't going to have instructions for fish owners, lol.

·
Registered
7,813 Posts
I like IAL more than tea, they are more natural (IAL is from SE Asia, roobios is native to Africa I believe), and actually drop the pH if the water which (from what I've heard) roobios isn't as effective in doing. My IAL is from Amy Lim on eBay- great seller.

I have to agree that while you can throw in everything that might possibly help the most important item for fin growth will always be clean, warm water.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Oh, I always thought the tannins lowered the PH, regardless of where they came from!! TIL!!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I keep good track of water quality and I've got a heater for his tank, so he'll hopefully be all good. I just feel so bad for the little dude.
I'll see how he's doing once he's in his real tank, and if the fins aren't growing I'll try the tea. He's going to have driftwood in his tank so I'm not super worried about the PH getting too high.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
I have rooibos tea in my tank, and part of the reason I DIDN'T go with the IAL is because i've heard it lowers PH. Mine is already on the low end @ 6.6 - 6.8 so I didn't want it any lower. And I have a crowntail who was a tail biter when I brought him home (he's stopped now) and it's growing back well. One of my VT's though, i really wish they had a fishy sized 'cone of shame'. He's determined to gnaw off his tail! GRRRRR! If you go tea, Kroger has it in their Private Selection brand. It's a relatively cheap way to try it out and see if you like it

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have rooibos tea in my tank, and part of the reason I DIDN'T go with the IAL is because i've heard it lowers PH. Mine is already on the low end @ 6.6 - 6.8 so I didn't want it any lower. And I have a crowntail who was a tail biter when I brought him home (he's stopped now) and it's growing back well. One of my VT's though, i really wish they had a fishy sized 'cone of shame'. He's determined to gnaw off his tail! GRRRRR! If you go tea, Kroger has it in their Private Selection brand. It's a relatively cheap way to try it out and see if you like it
I'm glad to hear he's stopped biting, that's very encouraging!
I'd honestly love to see a lil cone of shame on a betta, it'd be so cute and useful lol.
I don't have a Kroger near by but I do have a Harris Teeter so I will storm their tea aisle :-D

·
Registered
284 Posts
And I have a crowntail who was a tail biter when I brought him home (he's stopped now) and it's growing back well. One of my VT's though, i really wish they had a fishy sized 'cone of shame'. t

Mwahahaha

:twisted:

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hello! I've been using rooibos tea since it was suggested and I wanted to give a quick update because I am so proud of my little dude! the tea (along with good food, clean/warm water) has done wonders!
He's in a heated 2 gallon tank until his divided ten gallon is done cycling so that's why his tank looks bare.
I'm not sure how he's going to turn out; if his fins will grow back or not. he's very colorful now, somewhat iridescent actually. :]

I wish i could fix the photo thing though. It only happens on this website, normally they're right-side-up.

Attachments

·
Registered
249 Posts
Great! He looks wonderful! I'm so glad the tea is working for him. His beautiful copper colors are sure shining through now! :-D

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
awesome! It's such a good feeling when they stop biting and you see fin re-growth! Be aware though, that some backslide. I've had one stop biting and re-start a couple times.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts