Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ghost Catfish

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I figured since the live- bearer battle had so much success, why not do another one with a similar idea? This time it's battle of the bottom feeders! Which one helps the most (Work to bio-load output)? Which is the most interesting. Lastly which is the most compatible with our beloved Betta! Vote!

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
I pick the cories cuz they are the best bottom feeder! They are always on the bottom. Bushynose are great for algae of driftwood, glass, and rocks, but not a good bottom feeder. Sort of the same with the commons. Ghost shrimp are good but get eaten very easily. Snails are okay, but poop a lot and i just like a fish more. Loaches are awesome fish, but most of them are somewhat middle water swimmers and will eat food in the water column. The bamboo shrimp, isn't a bottom feeder and needs a lot of micro stuff to catch and eat. Crayfish are good, but are aggressive, some what big bioload, and eat plants. But not the mexican dwarfs, they are cool. Pictus cats get somewhat big and eat a lot and poop a lot, never had the space for them. Algae eater, what type? The chinese are mean and will kill fish, the siamese eat algae and with age will stop and only eat made food. Otos are not a bottom feeder and only eat some types of algae. Glass cats are sort of water column feeders as well. That is why I choose cories!
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Does anyone have any experience with the Bristlenose Pleco? I kind of want to know how much they clean compared to how much they contribute to the bio-load. Because they seem interesting and don't get huge like a common, but I don't want to get something that does more harm than good!

·
Super Moderator
23,872 Posts
Never had Bristlenose but I've researched and general concensus in species description is a 30 gallon+. They get to about 5" long.

I love my Pygmy and Hasbrosus Cories. They are all over the tank and don't confine their antics to the bottom. Actually, the only time they stay on the bottom for any length of time is when I feed them.

Do you mean Dwarf Crayfish like CPO or the large variety? Bamboo shrimp are not bottom feeders; if filter feeders start bottom feeding there isn't enough micro nutrients in the water/filter column to sustain them properly. My Glass/Ghost Catfish were mid-water and very rarely bottom feeders. As I remember, the ones in my 55 reached about 6".

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Yes I have have 4 right now. Breeding trio in my 29 and 1 baby in a 16 bow. They are awesome fish. They eat algae(not hair but i have seen 1 eat bba, not usually though) on driftwood, rocks, glass, and large leaved plants. They will eat shrimp pellets and bloodworms, but I just wouldnt consider them bottom feeders. They have a pretty big bioload but have a good filter and do enough water changes, you will be fine. They also seem to like groups. My trio is out all the time. When I only had a male, 5 years ago he was never out. The females are more active than males usually.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Oh and you want to know about bioload, eating ratio;

Cories, depends on the type but most have a small bioload, compared to how much food they eat.

Bristlenose, not really a bottom feeder, But i see why someone would vote them. The poop a lot just like any other pleco, but they eat most types of algae and they are pretty good to have a group if you have the space. Males fight, But not if you have a very large tank and tons of females.

Commons, are crazy, they get big poop a lot and usually stop eating algae in a home aquarium. Not really a bottom feeder either.

Ghost shrimp, awesome little shrimp. Whiskers are food also. Their poop almost doesnt even count in stocking a tank. If I could vote twice, They would be my second vote.

Snails, not great. Eat a lot if they even find it. They poop a lot as well.

Loaches, depends on type. Most are some what middle swimmers, but khulis and some other types stay on the bottom. Their bioload is sort of average, not to much not incredibly small. They eat quiet a bit.

Bamboos, small bioload, but not a bottom feeder.

Crayfish, average bioload. Cuz all crayfish have a pretty small bioload, usually. But for a crayfish, it would be big, for a fish it would be small. They eat anything, even fish.

Pictus cats, poop a lot cuz they eat a lot!

Chinese algae eater, nasty little thing, but sometimes you get lucky. They dont eat algae and eat snails and suck slim coats of fish, i heard. Their bioload is okay I believe.

Otos, not a bottom feeder, a true algae eater. Their bioload is pretty small.

Glass cats, not a bottom feeder. But their bioload isnt that much, for how big they get.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Pygmy Cories....for the reasons stated below. :)

QUOTE=tankman12;4809130]I pick the cories cuz they are the best bottom feeder! They are always on the bottom. Bushynose are great for algae of driftwood, glass, and rocks, but not a good bottom feeder. Sort of the same with the commons. Ghost shrimp are good but get eaten very easily. Snails are okay, but poop a lot and i just like a fish more. Loaches are awesome fish, but most of them are somewhat middle water swimmers and will eat food in the water column. The bamboo shrimp, isn't a bottom feeder and needs a lot of micro stuff to catch and eat. Crayfish are good, but are aggressive, some what big bioload, and eat plants. But not the mexican dwarfs, they are cool. Pictus cats get somewhat big and eat a lot and poop a lot, never had the space for them. Algae eater, what type? The chinese are mean and will kill fish, the siamese eat algae and with age will stop and only eat made food. Otos are not a bottom feeder and only eat some types of algae. Glass cats are sort of water column feeders as well. That is why I choose cories!
Posted via Mobile Device[/QUOTE]

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.