Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i have a betta, hes a few months old and doesnt seem aggressive. He likes to swim around his tank and doesnt hide much. I have a water heater set to 79 used to be 78 but seemed to be running a bit too cool so i turned it up. Hes in a 5 gallon, it doesnt have much algae but it tends to have a lot of excess food and stuff at the bottom. Ill add in algae if needed. Which bottom feeders do you think would be the best to fit in a 5gal with him? If any of course. Hes a small fish and i have a separate tank if any violence occurs. I was looking at ghost shrimp or maybe a pygmy corydora.

· Registered
266 Posts
I personally wouldn't put corys in a 5gal because it's a lot of bioload for a small tank. Shrimp are definitely a good choice you can get multi coloured cherry shrimp which are nice on the eyes or a small group of amano which are really energetic and fun to watch.

· Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I personally wouldn't put corys in a 5gal because it's a lot of bioload for a small tank. Shrimp are definitely a good choice you can get multi coloured cherry shrimp which are nice on the eyes or a small group of amano which are really energetic and fun to watch.
I thought so :) shrimp are funny little things so i think ill go for that. Ghost shrimp should be betta safe right?

· Registered
266 Posts
Any shrimp that wont outgrow the betta but also too big to fit in the bettas mouth should be fine. Ghost shrimp fit that criteria quite nicely. Maybe get them their own little hide ornaments so they have somewhere to retreat and rest. :)

· Administrator
24,577 Posts
Asbofish is correct: A five is too small for other fish.

If the tank has a lot of excess food and detritus on the bottom you might want to ask yourself "why?". How many water changes and how much per week? Do you vacuum?

You could still have shrimp in a heavily-planted tank or a Mystery Snail in a more open tank. However, the first concern is to ask why there's so much food and detritus accummulating and what you can do about it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.