Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all!

I am brand new to the Betta Fish family, just bought my first little guy today because I fell in love with him at the pet store. :-D Unfortunately at the time I believed that they would be happy in a small bowl at room temperature as long as you changed the water once a week.. After many hours reading the lovely guides found on here I realized that my new baby needs a lot more TLC than that.

I have had my new betta for about 12 hours now, and have done nothing so far besides feed him his evening meal of 2-3 pellets (about eye size) and have him in the warmest room in the house. I have not yet done anything new to the water (he is in the container he came in) and am shopping today for a tank and supplies. I already have a high protein pellet (aqueon betta food) and a water conditioner (top fin) for ammonia, chloramine and chlorine. My main concern is getting him set up into a healthy environment as soon as possible.

Combining what I have learned tonight from many of the guides provided here (and my limited budget) I am listing what I plan to, and would appreciate any and all suggestions:

1) I plan on purchasing a 1-2 gallon tank, no filter, no lights (but with lid to prevent jumping). From reviews of the "kits" provided at this size (and at my budget) they had a lot of problems with the filter creating too much water current or breaking down easily, or not having a good light source. Therefore I am thinking that I will want to start without a filter, changing the water more often if needed until I can do more research into a better solution. An additional worry is if BB will be able to thrive in a filter-less environment. I am also considering not lighting my tank at all. My very small studio has multiple skylights and is brightly lit during the day. I was thinking the regular day/night cycle of the sun might be a decent light solution for now.

2) A heater, 10-15w range, non-adjustable. Also, a stick on thermometer. This seemed to be about right, I am not quite sure on this one. But something with an auto-off that will not overheat the tank, and something low enough to not overheat my small 1-2 gallon.

3) 1-2 aquatic plants? I am planning on a fish-in cycle because I have already bought my betta and want to transfer him out of his store container asap. I was thinking 1 or 2 of these plants might be able to help with stabilizing the initial ammonia, and be nice to have in the long term as part of the cycle. Probably something like a moss ball, java moss, anubias, or anacharis, depending on what might be available in-store (if any). But I am unsure what I need as far as fertilizer/CO2 levels, or if they will be "fine" for a few days while I figure it all out? Also, will my initial idea for a sunlight-lit tank be good enough for these plants? Or will I end up needing the 6500K CFL after all? Or should I skip plants at this stage altogether?

4) Misc: Substrate, most likely gravel. A few other items for BB surfaces, perhaps a cave or other playgrounds.

I deeply appreciate any criticism to my current plan.
Thank you!

·
Registered
3,597 Posts
Welcome. Not sure where you live but Petsmart has a 2.5g tank, that I love. Its rectangular, glass, comes with a glass lid & I can fit my asjustable Aqueon 25W heater horinzontally. I suggest investing in an adjustable heater, much more reliable & you may have to adjust the temp on it up or down to get the water the correct temp. My 2.5g is unfiltered & I do 2 80%-90% water changes per week. I only have silk plants & a cave. I would suggest an in tank thermometer instead of a stick on, you'll get a more accurate temp reading. If at some point you decide to filter your tank I would suggest looking into a sponge filter, much more gentle for a smaller tank, IMO.

Here are a couple of pics:

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi! I'm pretty new too, so I can only speak from what I've read, and from limited experience.

Heater: Shellieca probably know better than me, but I agree with her. Go for an adjustable heater. That way you have control over the heat. I have Hydor Theo (25W) and my fish (Hokey Pokey) just loves it. He hangs out around it all the time.

Plants: I currently have a couple java fern, an anubias, and a moss ball in my tank. Hokey Pokey loves them. He hangs out in their leaves all the time. And sometimes he just stares at the moss ball as if trying to comprehend its mystery. They're pretty low maintenence, and mine have been fine without the CO2, or any extra light. They'll probably be fine while you figure things out. Just remember that some of those plants can't be planted in gravel (I've hear the roots will rot) and should either float or be tied to a rock or another kind of anchor.

Other than that I can't really add on much. Might want to get him a small hidey hole, because I've heard bettas like them. Mine hasn't shown any interest in his little "cave" and instead prefers plants. Or his floating tube.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Hello! Welcome to the forum.

I second Shellieca on the tank. Petco has one that is the same except that it doesnt come with the glass top. I just used plastic cling wrap to cover my tank. It was cheap and I only had to peel back the corner to feed my betta rather than remove the whole piece of glass.

I didnt have a filter on my 2.5g tank, just did frequent water changes. Though I was thinking about getting a sponge filter for it before I upgraded instead. Filters are pretty essential to cycling.

I dont have much experience cycling, I got tons of help on the forum. But cycling small tanks is supose to be harder. I didnt try cycling until I got my 5g.

I got a Hydor Theo 25w heater for the 2.5g tank (and still use it for the 5g) off of DrsFosterandSmith. com. Its adjustable and works great. And the price isnt bad.

Im not much help with plants. I have a black thumb and tend to avoid them. Though I did get a moss ball to try out. You could try posting some questions in the planted tank section.

I would suggest something for near the top of the tank. I got a floating betta log that my boy never seems to leave. Otherwise a lot of people make their own floating tubes. I have a betta hammock as well that my boy uses, though he prefers the log.

·
Reference Team
7,703 Posts
IMMEDIATELY !! Get him out of that cup and into the biggest container you have (hopefully a gallon or more). Rinse it thoroughly to get rid of soap residue. Use Prime water conditioner; it detoxifies ammonia, important in a small tank.

Glad you're getting a 25.g tank. See if you can justify a a 5g. The heater, filter, everything would be the same (cost the same). But twice as much water is easier and more forgiving starting out.

Read this:
http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/betta-fish-care/betta-basics-introduction-bettafish-care-232570/

Nice tank, Shellie. I like how those sword-things curve over for topcover and shade.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts