Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Fluval Moss Balls are artificial and, from what I understand from looking at them, act sort of like a filter might. If you want the living Marimo balls and haven't opened the package then I would just return those if you can, otherwise it is probably best to go with the timeframe stated on the package unless you want to test, say, nitrite levels and see if they are still working.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Fluval Moss Balls are artificial and, from what I understand from looking at them, act sort of like a filter might. If you want the living Marimo balls and haven't opened the package then I would just return those if you can, otherwise it is probably best to go with the timeframe stated on the package unless you want to test, say, nitrite levels and see if they are still working.

:-( yea i noticed they werent live once i got home, i didnt open them yet but am going to keep them

·
Registered
10,789 Posts
Yup, Fluval moss balls are made to absorb and trap phosphate and nitrate. That's why they need to be replaced every two months, like any other filter cartridge. They're just prettier than most filters. :)

·
Registered
215 Posts
Petsmart usually has real moss balls. Amazon and Ebay has them too. I have several. Highly recommend them.

As for the fake ones, it's just a dumb idea that they came up with.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts