Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So chances are I might not see this in time for it to help, but I have 2 questions.
The eggs have hatched, I noticed this morning. They aren't free swimming yet, about how long does that take? I'm guessing like a day.
Should I leave the aquarium light on overnight so it's easier for the father to place the babies back in the nest? I wont leave the light on unless someone tells me to.

·
Super Moderator
5,762 Posts
Hatch to free swimming takes about 2-3 days.
I breed in dark tub, some totally covered - no lighting. It's personal preference - bettas don't need extra lighting.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Most of my males won't even build a nest unless they have light. They just go night night... Not technically of course.

Some of them won't tend the nest at all without medium light and having the female still in the tank at least divided away but still in sight. lol

Bettas are goofy.

I mostly only make sure to pull the male before he decides that the kids are looking yummy and that I have the tank totally covered from day 10-15 just to be safe.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Most of my males won't even build a nest unless they have light. They just go night night... Not technically of course.

Some of them won't tend the nest at all without medium light and having the female still in the tank at least divided away but still in sight. lol

Bettas are goofy.

I mostly only make sure to pull the male before he decides that the kids are looking yummy and that I have the tank totally covered from day 10-15 just to be safe.
Interesting, Brian. Good to learn from experience. All is well with the fry, I took the father out yesterday. Absence of light didn't seem to bother anyone in my case, though I'm sure there was less activity during the night.
I agree, bettas are definitely goofy! :grin2:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts