Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a "female" betta from PetCo a few weeks ago, assuming she was female, but now I'm not so sure. Her ventral fins are pretty long, and when she flares, the back of her gills have frills. However, she does seem to have a barely visible ovipositor?
Here are some pictures:

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
I'm going to go out on a limb and say... female. Could you get a picture of her flaring? The anal fin doesn't look too male-ish to me :)

·
Registered
4,590 Posts
her eggspot is fine i guess :) sometimes females have bigger or smaller eggspots :p depends on size, she looks female but could be a young male

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
I did the same thing and mine turned out to be a guy. I'd give him another month to maybe get some fin growth. My boy also had a small egg spot when I first got him but now its gone and he's blowing bubble nests like crazy. I didn't fully know until he flared up and had a beard lol. I'm really happy I didn't try to breed him with another guy

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here she is flaring at Amelia, whose in a 2.5 gallon tank floating in the bigger tank. (She has SBD so I separated her from the rest). It's kind of hard to see Martha's gills though. XD Also Amelia's a bit on the small side too.
Here are her fins spread out...

Hope these helped a bit better! :)

·
Registered
181 Posts
I wanna say young male I've got one that was labeled as female but turned out to be male

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
regardless I LOVE the colors! Is there a possibility its a young crown tail male and the fins just haven't grown out that much?

·
Registered
414 Posts
I actually think she is a female..I'm pretty sure i see an egg spot.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts