Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I hope someone can help me. I just brought this guy from Petco a few hours ago. I saw he had this problem with his eye and am hoping I can fix him up. I read to help cloudy eye that all I have to do is change his water 50% every day until it gets better. But not sure if it's popping as well? Plus, he is still in his Petco cup, so I don't know how to precede. Can I put him in his new tank tonight and start water changes tomorrow? Any help greatly appreciated! I attached the questions I am supposed to answer for this forum but have no answers for them yet. Again, I've only had him for a few hours! Pics attached

Housing:
How many gallons is your tank?
Does it have a filter?
Does it have a heater?
What temperature is your tank?
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind?

Food:
What food brand do you use?
Do you feed flakes or pellets?
Freeze-dried?
How often do you feed your Betta? How much?

Maintenance:
Before your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change?
What percentage of water did you change?
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water?
What additives do you use?

Water Parameters:
What are your water parameters? Please give exact numbers. If tested by pet store please get exact numbers. "Fine" or "Safe" won't help us help you.

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness (GH):
Alkalinity (KH):

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms?
How has your Betta’s appearance changed?
How has your Betta’s behavior changed?
Is your Betta still eating?
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how?
Does your Betta have any history of being ill?
How long have you owned your Betta? Was he or she a rescue?

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
I would let him settle in for a day. After that Tetra or Jungle Fungus clear will get rid of eye infections.Even though it says fungus clear the medicine works for most eye infections involving a cloudy eyes. I've seen it work wonders. You will need to cut the tablet to the appropriate size tank because it's dosed 10 gallons. I divide the tablet into quarters and then reduce the tablet by approximated gallons. It does stain silicone and it will kill off beneficial bacteria.

He's very pretty I can see what lured you into bringing him home.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you so much for the reply! I will look into that medicine tomorrow. I'm hoping he'll start eating as well. He really is a handsome fella :)

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
Yes you can tell just by looking at his good eye that he is personable and inquisitive. Do you have heater for him?

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't. I bought one on Amazon and it never worked. Can't seem to find one with good reviews either. I did buy aquarium salt, fungus care and some frozen bloodworm concoction and hope he'll eat it

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
You only need Fungus Care I've read that salt is added to that medicine so you don't want to overdo it. My favorite heater:

https://www.saltwateraquarium.com/e...9a-wDo09jcdzlm-j2TOkmhPqIuv-jEeDQ0aAsIc8P8HAQ

The Eheim has a 5 year warranty
Hydor (I am using one Hydor) has a 2 year warranty.

Wherever you order from I'd suggest getting a small sponge filter. You will need an air pump but you can buy that locally.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts