Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ordered a 5-gallon acrylic kit from Petco.com for my two daughters and I, but when we opened the box we found a 3-inch crack in the bottom. The local Petco doesn't carry that kit in stock, so I ended up exchanging it for an Aqueon 10-gallon basic kit. We set it up with an adjustable heater (just + or -, no thermostat) and the included QuietFlow 10 HOB filter and hood with two 15-watt incandescent bulbs.

The two silk plants and hidey-hole doohickey were purchased when we still thought we would be setting up a 5-gallon, so I’ll be picking up a couple more plants – preferably live ones – and possibly adding a plastic-canvas tube. We’ll also be adding Murray the Marimo “Ball”, who has been chilling in a KK for a couple of weeks.

I used the included Aqueon water conditioner when filling the tank but will be picking up some Prime this weekend when we go to pick out our new fishy buddy. I’ll also get some Omega One pellets (I didn’t see NLS there but will double check) and an API test kit.

So, questions:

(1) Which easy, low-light plants would work with the included lights (together with plenty of indirect sunlight)?

(2) Am I missing anything?

(3) Do I need to do something to cover these gaps between the hood and filter?

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
The gaps should be ok, other than decor and fish food it all looks fine to me, though since you'll want to cycle that you should get some sort of safe start/QuickStart/beneficial bacteria

For plants I'd say java moss, moss balls, water wisteria, anarchis.

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
+1 to Bikeridinguckgirl14

for the bacteria - i recommend Tetra SafeStart. I used it to cycle all of my tanks and it worked very well.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Do you have a thermometer that suction cups to the inside? You need that. Don't waste money on sticker thermometers, and if you got a sticker one, replace it. A decent thermometer is like 3 bucks, not a big deal.

The plants that don't need special care: java fern, java moss, anubias, moss ball, and most floating plants. Floating plants will keep your water nice and clean, so snap them up if you see them.

If you find you really like plants, invest in a bottle of Seachem's Flourish (liquid fertilizer) and some root tabs. That'll open up a huge variety of other plants for you.

It also opens up the possibility of maintaining safe levels of ammonia by using live plants, but I don't suggest this in your first tank--especially since it's nice and large. Plants can get really expensive as you get bigger and bigger with your tanks and have more surface area to cover and more fish waste to filter out (unless you're understocking).

If you end up really, really liking plants, you'll probably want Seachem's Flourish Excel (this is different than the above stuff--it's CO2), or a DIY CO2 system. That opens up the rest of the gamut of aquarium plants.

Always read the label on plants you buy! Some plants can only be partially submerged, and they're sold right along with the fully aquatic ones. You can waste quite a bit of money this way if you aren't careful. Do your research before you buy!

Good luck! ;)

·
Super Moderator
2,832 Posts
Don't do it, don't do it, live plants in a 10g are like potato chips, you tell yourself you can stop anytime but you start with one, then you think, just one more, next thing you know, you're trying to figure out where else you can stuff plants while your little betta is completely ecstatic frolicking between all the plants and playing hide and seek with you.

Oh sorry, flashbacks get to me :cool:

Edit: Betta really do love their live plants.

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
Do you have a thermometer that suction cups to the inside? You need that. Don't waste money on sticker thermometers, and if you got a sticker one, replace it. A decent thermometer is like 3 bucks, not a big deal.
If you look at the photo there is a glass thermometer on the far left side of the tank :)

·
Registered
241 Posts
More beginner plants would be.... Crypts, Water Wisteria, Water Sprite, Amazon Sword, Argentine Sword, Anubias (Nana) and Hornwort!

Note: Crypts and Anubias can't be planted directly into substrate. Tie it to something like that pot/orange thing you have!

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you, thank you, all!

Here's another question, about buying plants from Petco: I know it's best to buy the plants in tubes, but the selection at our store is very small. They do keep a large sort-of waterfall-like setup with just plants that seems to have a lot more choices. If there are no fish/livestock, would it be okay to put these plants into our tank without QT?

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
No. If the plants were kept in a tank with other plants or fish they still need to be QT. It is best to buy the plants in the tubes.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.