Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it okay to have a betta (like at the office) and not feed it for two days? What about three days (holidays)?

·
Registered
247 Posts
It's actualy bad to feed bettas every day. It can cause them to constipated and developed bloat and all it's related difficulties. Most people here, myself included, only feed 6 days a week, and on the 7th we let our bettas flush their system out. It should be fine to fast them 2 days a week with the occasional 3 day break so long as your Betta is otherwise well cared for and in good health.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
It's actualy bad to feed bettas every day. It can cause them to constipated and developed bloat and all it's related difficulties. Most people here, myself included, only feed 6 days a week, and on the 7th we let our bettas flush their system out. It should be fine to fast them 2 days a week with the occasional 3 day break so long as your Betta is otherwise well cared for and in good health.
I agree

·
Registered
247 Posts
I've even heard upwards of 9 days, but I wouldNt try it. Just make sure they have a heater, good sized and well decorated tank and clean water and you should be ok

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Awesome, thanks folks!

·
Registered
126 Posts
When my betta was a classroom betta he fasted on the weekends and occasional 3 day holidays.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
What's more important is the water changes. Poor water quality will kill a betta before starvation. If your betta is in a 2 gallon container or less, you need to change the water 100% once every two days.

·
Registered
247 Posts
What's more important is the water changes. Poor water quality will kill a betta before starvation. If your betta is in a 2 gallon container or less, you need to change the water 100% once every two days.
+1

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
I leave my betta over the weekend every weekend. I feed him late Friday, then no food Saturday, then feed Sunday when I get home.

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
I didn't know that you were supposed to skip feeding them one day... I'll try that. It will be hard for me, though! Aurora is always begging! But she's so tiny that it's too easy to overfeed her (she's 1 inch long).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts