Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
King Dedede seems to be running into lots of problems lately... His breathing is heavy and I have NO idea what's happening. I've checked his gills and they don't seem hurt or inflamed... I just did a water change yesterday. I'm sure it's not temperature shock because when I did the water change, the water was the same temperature as the tank. It seems to be getting worse each time. My tank's temperature is currently at 79 degrees Fahrenheit. He is also lying down but not tipping, he looks as if he is about to pass out or something... I have no idea what's happening whatsoever... can someone please help me? I'm not so sure my betta'll make it! :-?

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
anyone...? please??

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
there's a small lump I spotted on a place near his tail. now can someone help me? pleeeease?

·
Registered
3,853 Posts
did you forget the conditioner

·
Registered
10,971 Posts
Its hard to say what is wrong, what I would recommend at this point-Lower the water level, cover the top with plastic veggie wrap to retain heat/humidity for the labyrinth organ-If you have a tannin source of either IAL or dried Oak leaf-add this to his tank. Keep him in a dim lit quiet location for now. Don't make any 100% water changes for awhile-only 25-50% with like temp, properly dechlorinated water-leaving him in the tank for the water changes.

Good luck...

·
Registered
3,952 Posts
Is he able to swim to the surface ok? Can you get a picture of the lump? (Is it just a bump, or more like an open sore?) Is he lying flat on his side, or more tilted like with his head or tail down?

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Its hard to say what is wrong, what I would recommend at this point-Lower the water level, cover the top with plastic veggie wrap to retain heat/humidity for the labyrinth organ-If you have a tannin source of either IAL or dried Oak leaf-add this to his tank. Keep him in a dim lit quiet location for now. Don't make any 100% water changes for awhile-only 25-50% with like temp, properly dechlorinated water-leaving him in the tank for the water changes.

Good luck...
okay.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Is he able to swim to the surface ok? Can you get a picture of the lump? (Is it just a bump, or more like an open sore?) Is he lying flat on his side, or more tilted like with his head or tail down?
he rushes to the surface like there's a threat down at the bottom of the tank. and the bump is just a small bump and it's black and not very visible because my betta's body is... black? his body is supposed to be royal blue. also, the lying is with the tilted like with head and tail down.

UPDATE:

I feel so guilty, he's laying down more than ever and breathing is becoming heavier... I'm not even sure if he'll make it or not.

·
Registered
11,653 Posts
DeDe is the one who was injured before right? It may take weeks for him to fully recover.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
DeDe is the one who was injured before right? It may take weeks for him to fully recover.
yes. and he was only hit on the stomach and head. and he wasn't breathing heavily before.... now he is...

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
photos of what he looks like now

pretty worried...

I couldn't get the lump, I'm sorry...

·
Registered
11,653 Posts
I agree with lowering the water level. Has anything environmental changes? Rocks, plants, etc?

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I agree with lowering the water level. Has anything environmental changes? Rocks, plants, etc?
my parents are all like "no, he's fine, leave him be!" and they saw him lying down like the pics but they won't allow me to lower the water level :cry:. also, no, there weren't any environmental changes.

·
Registered
11,653 Posts
Your parents won't help but we sure will try to! Do you have any way of getting Indian almond leaves? Claim it's beneficial to betta fish (as really it is). It may make him for comfy. Make sure to keep his water clean.

He will be going through some tough time these next few weeks, as like a person who has suffered damage they need to be able to have time to fix the damage and making it bearable. He will take turns for the worse, and we will try our best for you.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I used oak leaves and his breathing went back to normal, but he still has that small lump... hmmm

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Little Leaf has a long history of her parents not allowing her to help her pets. I'm shocked that the fish are still alive.
and I'm shocked thatmy parents won't help with my fish but will help a dog!?

(my parents are allowing me to get a dog and they won't help my fish. my parents are fish-ist!! I might give up with the dog idea)

1 - 20 of 49 Posts