Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Two days ago I had bought a new tank for my betta who's been in bad shape since I got him. The other two days he seemed alright and was doing alot better then he was before I put him in. Today I've noticed he seems to be breathing harder than usual? I'm not sure, but when I got him he was barely moving and so it was hard to tell if he was breathing or not. I've had him for about a week now. I can't tell if he's getting better or not. I tested the ammonia levels which were 0 and changed out a bit of the water just in case. he's in a heated 2.5 gallon I know is small but he's been having a hard time getting around and he's going blind. I've gotten him to eat two pellets today which is amazing since yesterday was the only other time I've been able to get him to eat and he only ate about one pellet. Other than him breathing harder he seems okay. maybe I'm just overreacting? Dunno if this is related or if it's just a thing he does but he's been resting on the filter intake upside down.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
18,386 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry about that! Let me know if I missed anything!

Housing:
How many gallons is your tank?

Does it have a filter?
-yes

Does it have a heater?
-yes

What temperature is your tank?

Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
-no

Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind?
-no

Food:
What food brand do you use?
-omega one betta buffet pellets

Do you feed flakes or pellets?
-pellets

Freeze-dried?
-don't think so?

How often do you feed your Betta? How much?
-working out a schedule because I have to scoop him out into a cup so he can easily reach his food. I fed him this morning and I didn't want to stress him any more. Today he ate around 2 pellets, yesterday it was about one.

Maintenance:
Before your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change?
-brand new tank I filled 2 days ago

What percentage of water did you change?
-100?

What is the source of your water?
-tap

Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water?
-dip out

What additives do you use?
-Seachem Stability, aquarium salt

What brand of conditioner?
-Seachem Prime

Water Parameters:
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
pH: 7-7.2?
Hardness (GH): no test
Alkalinity (KH): no test

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms?
-This morning, about 15 hours ago

How has your Betta’s appearance changed?
-Since I've gotten him his colors seem to be getting brighter. I'm worried he might have injured his right eye it seems to be poking out more

How has your Betta’s behavior changed?
-he seems to be getting more active, but seems to be breathing heavily? He was hardly breathing when I first got him.

Is your Betta still eating?
-he was not interested in food the first couple of days but ate about one pellet yesterday and two this morning

Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how?
-no

Does your Betta have any history of being ill?
-His fins are a bit torn. He refused to eat the first few days. He's blind in his left eye and it seems like scales are growing over his right eye also.

How long have you owned your Betta?
-5 days

Was he or she ill or suffering some sort of damage when purchased?
-yes, he seemed to barely be alive

1 - 3 of 3 Posts