Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My elephant ear betta I believe has eggs due to the white salt like spot on her stomach. I am thinking of breeding her with my male who I believe is a feather tail, double tail. Would it be a good idea? with how big the fins could possibly be.

This is also the first time I am thinking of breeding bettas, so any tips would be great!

·
Super Moderator
5,762 Posts
To be honest, I have never worked with feather tails. But as they are an extention of rose tails, they may carry problematic genes. Could you post side view pictures of both, preferably close up flaring pictures so we can see their rays.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Male: Dunkin (Male, older picture. Currently being treated for mild fin rot)

Female: Tiki (Older picture)

·
Super Moderator
5,762 Posts
I can't see the male's caudal. But Im guessing he is a regular DT, not a feather tail. Your female is a 4 ray. . . . They should be safe to breed.

ALL females have an egg spot (white dot under belly), whether she is ready to breed or not. Make sure you feed both lots of nutritious food for about 2 weeks before you breed them. Males will only eat a bit or not at all since courtship til fry are free swimming, which could take 5-7 days (sometimes more). Females will probably take a beating - In top health will ensure quick recovery.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I also have a very fat (I believe she if full of eggs) CT female I am prioritizing breeding due to how round she is and how apparent the white spot is.

Strawberry: The first picture definitely shows her big stomach, and the white spot.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts