Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a trio of Betta mahachaiensis in a heavily planted blackwater ~26 gallon. On 4/21, spawning was observed. The male and the female who bred are still pretty young and still growing but she seemed to release a good number of eggs & he has been diligently defending his nest and maintaining it
For now, I am going to leave the fry in the main tank and hope that they can find microorganisms to keep them going. I may set up a breeding tank in the future but at least for now, they’ll stay in here.

Its a bit hard to see but here is the tank.
Plant Underwater Terrestrial plant Aquatic plant Grass

The male:
Vertebrate Branch Plant Organism Twig

Hemp Green Organism Water Yellow

Water Organism Fin Aquatic plant Fish

Water Fin Underwater Fish Marine biology

And the female:
Underwater Plant Fish Terrestrial plant Marine biology

I hope to have some exciting updates soon!

Attachments

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I was gone yesterday and came back today to him guarding a new bubble nest and spawning with one of the females. I did also see some fry from the last time but I have no clue how many hatched, only time will tell!

Here are some photos from today’s spawning
Hat Terrestrial plant Underwater Reptile Aquatic plant
Underwater Plant Botany Organism Marine biology

Water Fin Fish Electric blue Underwater

Eye Beak Underwater Plant Feather

Attachments

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There are some fry! They’re from Thursday’s breeding. I’m really hoping that my tank is sufficiently bioactive and seeded with microfauna that they can find some food that fits in their tiny mouths. I’ve added some paramecium, scuds, and daphnia (the latter 2 are for the adults and when they get bigger).

For size reference, the white dot on the tank sealant is a daphnia.
Wood Smoke Darkness Event Reflection

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Finally got a decent look at the bubble nest from 3 days ago and I think I will have a lot of babies on my hands. Heh. Oh boy!

Here is a photo of their tails dangling from the bubble nest. It’s been so cute watching him tend to the nest, scoop up any fry that fall, and return them to the nest.
Cloud Automotive lighting Tints and shades Sky Landscape

It’s been so cute watching him tend to the nest, scoop up any fry that fall, and return them to the nest. Their older siblings seem to be doing well too; they’re getting bigger and hanging out all over the tank. They have round bellies so they’re finding their food, thankfully. They’re still a bit small for BBS but they’re getting there!

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The fry have been growing well, though it is a bit hard to monitor their progress in this tank. I might scoop some out and raise them in a 5 or 10 gallon so I can keep a closer eye on them.

Anyways, onto the exciting stuff. At least 2 of the fry are getting really big! They actually look like real bettas and the earliest they could have hatched would be 4/25 so they’re only 2 weeks old… I’m extremely impressed :eek: I don’t have any experience in breeding species from the splendens complex until now so I don’t know if it is actually impressive growth (anyone with experience, does it seem like they’re growing well? 😅) but I was stunned when I saw them.

Here‘s one of them:
Plant Axolotl Terrestrial plant Grass Aquatic plant

Plant Terrestrial plant Automotive lighting Houseplant Grass

Water Plant Nature Terrestrial plant Organism

Please let me know if it seems like they’re doing as well as I think they are!

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Water Fin Fish supply Organism Fish

Organism Reptile Terrestrial plant Grass Adaptation

Insect Arthropod Wood Pest Flooring

I have fry of allllll stages in this tank, some of them are getting so big and even have blue cheeks already! :O I’m thinking I may need to separate the male from the females just so I don’t become overwhelmed with fry… hm.

The baby brine shrimp seem to be really helping them grow, though I’m trying to space out feedings to reduce the chance of swim bladder issues developing.

·
Super Moderator
1,299 Posts
They are looking perfectly fine🥰!
How sweet and beautiful.

Baby Brine Shrimp is indeed an excellent food source and shouldn‘t cause issues with your feeding regime. Adults will snack on the BBS as well.
You could also alternate with vinegar eels (they make use of the whole water column - good thing) or even fry starter (not essential).

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think I’ll get some vinegar eels, it’s always good to have more live foods as an option!

Here’s a photo of one of the oldest fry, showing some shiny cheeks!
Plant Terrestrial plant Fish Grass Underwater

And one of the younger fry, hunting for BBS in the floating plants.
Plant Insect Water Organism Arthropod

And a photo of dad’s pretty colors! (Hoping to get some good photos of the moms soon, they’re a bit more skittish).
Fin Fish Underwater Electric blue Tail

Attachments

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It’s been 2 weeks since my last update so time for another one! The babies are growing so much, these ones pictured should be just under 2 months. Not quite at a point where I can sex them yet but I have a decent idea of which ones are male and female.
Water Fin Fish Tail Underwater
Water Cloud Natural environment Fin Organism

At this point, the larger babies are coloring up and down, they tend to display the nice dark brown when they’re feeding or swimming around in the leaf litter. It isn’t a requirement for these guys but they definitely seem more comfortable with botanicals added.

Currently I’m feeding them frozen daphnia and frozen blood worms, both seem well received. They do also seem open to pellets, just not as eager.

I am going to remove the male from the tank soon (working on his future tank), there are a lot of fry and as much as I enjoy watching the interactions between him and the girls, I really need to stop the baby supply. That reminds me… anyone in the United States possibly want to keep some mahachaiensis? I have so many babies that are growing up before my very eyes 😅

And lastly, some more photos for fun!
Fin Botany Organism Fish Underwater

Underwater Water Plant Marine biology Terrestrial plant

Leaf Organism Fin Sunlight Underwater

Fin Underwater Organism Fish Terrestrial plant

Water Cloud Fin Organism Fish

Water Water resources Liquid Natural landscape Plant

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Many of the mahachais are growing up! 7 found homes already. I have a divided 20 long for them all set up to split up some of the juveniles. I purchased the tank already divided from another aquarist & I think I’ll make another one similar to this. Each section has a heater and sponge filter & measures ~4 gallons. I wanted 5 gallons per section but this seems great as is.

Man I love these fish a little too much, at least it makes overtime at work all the more worth it, lol.
Rectangle Terrestrial plant Pet supply Aquatic plant Plant

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well, there are small gaps at the front that the fry can escape through if they really try. Thankfully the 2 males that got to each other were just aggressively wiggling at each other (they aren’t very aggressive yet) and we’re separated without issue. I have them separated out for my own convenience really so it isn’t a big issue & should resolve as they get bigger. That being said, it has been helpful for me to see their personalities and which ones would make a good pair.

I have 2 that seem very interested in each other, I think they can sense each other through the gaps. The male was wiggling and the female has breeding stripes so those will go off together. I can’t believe they’re already at breeding age! They’ve grown up so quickly, at least to me. Obligatory photo spam below.
Plant Branch Terrestrial plant Organism Vegetation

Nature Plant Leaf Natural environment Organism

Plant Leaf Botany Sunlight Terrestrial plant

Branch Terrestrial plant Organism Plant Yellow

Plant Terrestrial plant Organism Arecales Grass

Nature Vegetation Grass Wood Sunlight

Eye Plant Vegetation Terrestrial plant Grass

1 - 20 of 25 Posts