Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! I've recently gotten into giant bettas and I would really love to start breeding them. They're such beautiful fish! I have noticed there aren't really any breeders in Canada and was wondering if it would be smart to start breeding them here? Would people want to purchase them?
Thanks so much!

·
Registered
765 Posts
I love giant bettas. I have no idea if you’ll be able to sell them In your area but you could talk to your local pet store and see if they would take some. I’ve seen a few betta being sold on Aquabid.com from Canadian sellers as well. Perhaps the forum members from Canada will chime in here.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks everyone for your responses! I'll contact some local fish stores to see if they'd be interested :) I'm also going to post in some aquatic canada groups on FB to hopefully get more canadian responses :p

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just an update!
It seems there are a ton of people interested in giants here in Canada so I've decided to start breeding <3
Any tips? I'll probably be posting my journey on the forums somewhere :)

·
Super Moderator
5,962 Posts
There is a spawn log subsection under the breeding section.

- If you know your pair are definitely giants, breed them when they are 4-6cm. Bigger individuals often do not cooperate. Lol

- Keep your breeders flared regularly. You want them active at all times. Once they get lazy (especially the male), they won't tend to the eggs/fry.

- more giants are eggs eaters compared to regular bettas (mine). In such cases, you'd need to out smart them - place a mesh on floor below the nest so they can't get to the eggs.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'll definitely check that out!
Would the mesh keep the eggs from falling from the bubble nest? And whats the best way to get them flared?

·
Super Moderator
19,408 Posts
And I forgot, there is a woman from Canada who used to advertise imports for sale. She might be a potential buyer for the ones you don't sell elsewhere. Her ads were in the Canada section of the Marketplace.

·
Super Moderator
5,962 Posts
I'll definitely check that out!
Would the mesh keep the eggs from falling from the bubble nest? And whats the best way to get them flared?
No. The mesh is to keep eggs out if reach from snacking mouths. Eggs will be on the tank floor - what's left of it anyway.

I use mesh only for pairs that immediately eat all eggs. Otherwise, I remove with spoon (those floating) or siphon (those on floor).

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No. The mesh is to keep eggs out if reach from snacking mouths. Eggs will be on the tank floor - what's left of it anyway.

I use mesh only for pairs that immediately eat all eggs. Otherwise, I remove with spoon (those floating) or siphon (those on floor).

I thought the eggs had to be kept in the bubble nest?

·
Super Moderator
5,962 Posts
Fertilized eggs will hatch regardless. The problem is keeping them safe from fungus (and predators). You can use methylene blue to avoid fungus when artificially hatching.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Fertilized eggs will hatch regardless. The problem is keeping them safe from fungus (and predators). You can use methylene blue to avoid fungus when artificially hatching.
Thank you so much! I think I'll keep the male in with the eggs for a little and watch closely to see if he decides they're a tasty snack... If he does, I'll add the mesh. Would aquarium salt be an alternative to that? or will it not do much?

·
Super Moderator
5,962 Posts
Thank you so much! I think I'll keep the male in with the eggs for a little and watch closely to see if he decides they're a tasty snack... If he does, I'll add the mesh. Would aquarium salt be an alternative to that? or will it not do much?
Need to make clear;
  • NOT all giants are egg eater
  • Not all giants won't tend to eggs
I'm just "lucky" to have lazy egg eating giants, thus warn people of possible frustration.

So in first attempt (any pair), always breed with regular method. Use mesh or artificial hatch if breeding pair turn out to be egg eaters.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Need to make clear;
  • NOT all giants are egg eater
  • Not all giants won't tend to eggs
I'm just "lucky" to have lazy egg eating giants, thus warn people of possible frustration.

So in first attempt (any pair), always breed with regular method. Use mesh or artificial hatch if breeding pair turn out to be egg eaters.
Okay thanks once again :) It'll just be a trial and error type of thing! Hopefully it'll all work out

·
Super Moderator
5,962 Posts
Sorry, forgot about Aq salt.
IMO, it doesn't help. Because you need stronger concentration to avoid fungus which eggs cannot tolerate

1 - 18 of 18 Posts