Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so today i picked up 4 little ghost shrimps. (had i known the rule about 10 per gallon i might have picked up more, their fun.) one is pregnant. it has eggs in the abdomen that are green and black. What can i do to raise some fry? should i go out and buy a little breeding tank tomorrow? can i use a betta cup and tie it to the outside of my tank and just scoop the female up in there, till she lays or spawns? then remove her and leave the little ones in there? any tips? im super curious and would love teeny little ones!

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
when it comes to ghost shrimp, I'd say just give them and their babies plenty of hiding spaces and let them do their thing! As long as they can hide they will be safe and at least a few babies will pull through.

side note: hello fellow floridian! :D
really? not certain i have enough cover then... what can i add? my tank is only 9" tall... so all the "small plants" are like meadium to high in my tank. :p

Added some live plants! :D by kittywolf13, on Flickr

Maybe more banana plants? they were like a 1.99 which wasnt bad.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
it is a great tank :D

It's a good start, but lower-to-the-ground hides would be really good.

I'm not sure what is available in local stores, but ebay sells some great shrimp hide spots, specifically for breeding.

Just search for "shrimp hide"

And you will see things like this:

There all all different shapes and sizes of hides, caves and tubes made in different materials.

But plants are always great, too! The banana plants could definitely work. Anything on the ground with nooks and crannies.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
ghost shrimp have a larval stage, they are not like when neos hatch looking like a tiny shrimp, you need floating plants with tons of roots for them to hide in, I have heard that during the larval stage they are attracted to light so lights on from the sides of the tank will make them bounce off the glass and kill themsrlves, I had a colony going for a good while, but I have heard its rare to, they are usually pond raised

·
Registered
548 Posts
Ghost shrimp - as they are labeled are very rarely ever ghost shrimp. Most are grass shrimp, which are almost identical but do not have a larval stage. Ghost shrimp are difficult to breed while I have bred ghost shrimp in a tank with predators. Those hides that were linked are good, stuff them with a little java moss and get a big clump of it for your tank and you should have some babies survive. They'll be tiny, so you have to look hard! They'll be visible after about a week.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys for all the great info. I went looking for cherry shrimp but no one had any. One of my little shrimp has various red spots and is far more active then the other 3. Thanks you guys have been far more helpful then another forum which just told me not to bother. I know its difficult but I can try right? :p

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Sadly i found the mother dead this morning. i was wondering is it possible for shrimp to be egg bound? i thought it was weird that the eggs were green? i read that their usually white, and then turn clear with black dots when they are close to hatching... so i found it odd they were green. they were green when i got them at the store too. could the eggs gone septic or something and killed her? the other shrimp seem to be doing well.

·
Registered
302 Posts
If those are grass shrimp (and I'm not good enough to tell by looking) then all you will need to do is figure out a way that they don't become food. Many breeding nets are designed so that fry will pass through, but adults can't. I'm not worried about your shrimp eating their own young, but I'm worried about the Betta doing so, a net then, would be a bad idea. Or, if you got one, put the betta in it not the shrimp.

Your best bet, imho would be to have a seperate breeding tank for your shrimp. It doesn't have to be huge, a 1 gallon jug would even work. (You know all those adorable tanks that you've always wanted but are cruel to keep a betta in due to their size? Now you have an excuse to get one.) Large "Critter Keeper" boxes also work well. I would throw in as much plantlife as you can. If you have an extra sponge or box filter, I would put that in the breeding tank too.

You may need a THIRD tank too, in it you will raise brine shrimp (sea monkeys) according to the standard sea monkey directions. Here is the tricky part: you have to time your births so that you have near newborn brine shrimp at the same time your grass shrimp hatch. Baby grass shrimp are tiny, and there are very few things that they can eat, baby brine shrimp being one of the few.

Anyone know what else to feed baby grass shrimp?

Also, most of what I'm getting I'm more or less paraphrasing from shrimp-specific forums and pages. A google search for "Breeding ghost shrimp" or "breeding grass shrimp" may give you more information.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
If those are grass shrimp (and I'm not good enough to tell by looking) then all you will need to do is figure out a way that they don't become food. Many breeding nets are designed so that fry will pass through, but adults can't. I'm not worried about your shrimp eating their own young, but I'm worried about the Betta doing so, a net then, would be a bad idea. Or, if you got one, put the betta in it not the shrimp.

Your best bet, imho would be to have a seperate breeding tank for your shrimp. It doesn't have to be huge, a 1 gallon jug would even work. (You know all those adorable tanks that you've always wanted but are cruel to keep a betta in due to their size? Now you have an excuse to get one.) Large "Critter Keeper" boxes also work well. I would throw in as much plantlife as you can. If you have an extra sponge or box filter, I would put that in the breeding tank too.

You may need a THIRD tank too, in it you will raise brine shrimp (sea monkeys) according to the standard sea monkey directions. Here is the tricky part: you have to time your births so that you have near newborn brine shrimp at the same time your grass shrimp hatch. Baby grass shrimp are tiny, and there are very few things that they can eat, baby brine shrimp being one of the few.

Anyone know what else to feed baby grass shrimp?

Also, most of what I'm getting I'm more or less paraphrasing from shrimp-specific forums and pages. A google search for "Breeding ghost shrimp" or "breeding grass shrimp" may give you more information.
thank you for the info! i will keep it in mind, sadly i found the mother dead this morning. im wondering if its possible for shrimp to be egg bound, as i thought it was weird that the eggs were green. maybe they were septic? i dunno. the other 3 shrimp look healthy so far.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.