Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
It really depends on the betta. Always start with quality stock, though! Good luck!

·
Registered
631 Posts
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say none of them are "easy" to breed.

Lots of preparation and expense involved in the process, not to mention the risk to both male and female.

Of course those are just my opinions based on the little information you provided in your question.

May I ask why you want to breed?
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
639 Posts
what would be the easiest kind to breed?
I believe that all Bettas are equal in breeding difficulty. Each Betta seems to have it's own personality and one may be more difficult than the next.

I also feel that easy is over rated. That which is easily obtained, usually gets the least respect.

Jeff.:)

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
none are really the "easiest" each type has its pro's and cons but none are easy. well wait, breeding is the easy part, raising the fry to be big healthy fish is the hardest.

·
Banned
27,608 Posts
Some people will say that breeding bettas is easy but there is more to it than throwing a male and female together and letting nature take it's course. Actually, I've heard breeders say that breeding is the easy part, it's raising the fry that's more challenging.

·
Registered
750 Posts
A good healthy pair that are fairly young sould breed easily. I watch for storm fronts and most of mine spawn in a few days.. though the 3 pairs I have now are all becoming roomies. :-( ..

Raising is another story. HM and Ct fininnage can go ugly fast if not kept in really pristine waters. The plakats are a bit sturdier. Best is to pick what you like and go for it. Then learn from your misteaks and go on.

·
Super Moderator
6,144 Posts
They're all the same - each has it's own character. Some breed fast while others may take days. Some will "rearrange" the female's form while others may not. In fact sometimes one male may act differently during each spawning. .... you need to try breeding to know what I mean.

Though most are sexually mature at 4 months, I recommend at least 5 months. 6-8 months is best. IMO they are more mature (instinct wise) and will better care for the fry. Further, they should have developed their body and fins and will show if they carry any defect or not.

I agree that breeding is the easiest part. Raising the fry is the real challenge. As BB said; determine what you want to work with, read as much as possible about them, and go for it. You may make mistakes, everybody does. But you learn from them as you go.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
410 Posts
The only difference in bettas are their attitude but other then that I don't think their are any difference in breeding bettas, All bettas breed the same way except for wild bettas

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
how are those specific types more aggressive than others? All of them are aggressive but I didn't think it was related to one specific type.

·
Registered
5 Posts
well not really except in reds and dragons (genetic).

cts and pks can move faster than long fins so they can chase for longer and attack more often than the long fins.

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
ok that makes more sense.

·
Registered
336 Posts
From what ive been able to learn:
dragons tend to be agressive when spawning and black malano females are usualy infertal also the fry tend to be more aggressive(i think that is a rumor)
thats kinda what ive piced up from the web so...

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
my dragons where sweeties to one another... huh

·
Registered
50 Posts
In terms of "easiness" I'd say that no bettas are easy to breed. It takes a lot of time, effort, and money to produce a good spawn with healthy fry.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
long fin short fin ct hm pk dt dragon ee giant it make no difference in breeding
it's all up to the fish
hm can killed
pk could breed without injuries

rearing the fry to adult is a different story

1 - 20 of 33 Posts