Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I have carefully planned to spawn two bettas. I have been periodically placing and removing the female betta (in a 1.5 gallon tank) next to the male betta (in a 2.5 gallon tank) to see if they were compatible and if the female would show signs of being interested. This is my first time breeding, so I didn't know what to expect.

While I have been letting them adjust, I went ahead and set up another 20 gallon "grow out tank". The water is 6 inches, temp is 80, and I also have a another tank set up to grow the baby brine shrimp (all I need to do is drop the eggs in).

Here is my question...Almost overnight, my male suddenly blew a HUGE bubblenest in the 2.5 gallon, and the female is suddenly acting interested and is showing bars. Do I first move the male to the 20 gallon tank, have him blow an entirely new nest, and THEN allow them to spawn, or can I spawn them in the 2.5, immediately remove the female, then move the fry to the 20 gallon once they become horizontal? I feel like moving the male now that he has an established nest will disrupt the process, but they are so ready!

Thank you very much!

·
Registered
5,903 Posts
You can spawn in a 2.5 but you risk injury to the fish if they get too aggressive because there's no room to escape. It's certainly an option however, I know many breeders who prefer the smaller tank size for spawning. I would not remove the fry from that tank until they're at least 2 weeks old to prevent killing them from shock. You'd just have to be diligent about water changes so as to not foul the water.

IMO a 20 gallon is too big to spawn in. It'll be harder for the fry to find food which will slow their growth. I would instead spawn in a 5 or 10 gallon tank and transfer the fry to the 20 gallon once they're around 4-6 weeks old.

BTW.. Welcome to the forum :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you so much for the reply! I was thinking that the 20 was too big for a starter as well. I actually have a ten gallon tank that I could set up, too. (My petstore owner friend donatd a bunch of tanks). If I do decide to let them spawn in that tank, I will monitor them very closely to prevent injury to my female. Unfortunately, I have a little bit of gravel in the 2.5, so I need to carefully remoe that before I get started.

Here are some pics of the parents-to-be (I am a horrible photographer). Obviously, the red male is not show quality. However, if this works out, I want to breed the same female to the black PK. I know that such a breeding would produce half short-tails and half longs, I I think he is just gorgeous! This is so exciting!

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just realized how many typos were in my reply. :-( Had a long day. Anyway, it is probably obvious that I am a newby, but I have had enough patience to successfully spawn angelfish (easier or more difficult?), so I feel confident that I can do this!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts