Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone!, I am hoping to breed in some future time. So i wanted to ask some questions about breeding.

1. Someone mentioned not using VT's to breed. Or use breeding-grade Betta fish.

2. How long can I keep the Free Swimming Betta fry in one tank?

3. Should I put some Betta fry/fish for adoption?, or try donating them to local aquarium shops?

4. Can the females/sisters stay in one tank?

5. Where can I find bloodworms?, I don't think they sell those at my local aquarium shops.

--

Thanks for your opinions, i appreciate them (wink wink)

·
Registered
94 Posts
First of all, there is no real issue with breeding veiltails. The issue is whether or not people will want to buy veiltails when there are so many other "cooler" types out there.

When I breed, I always leave the babies alone for about a month. I just add a little water and try and keep the tank clean but other than that I leave them be. I separate the males at about 3 months when they start to fight. The females can live together provided you have a large enough grow out tank.

As for selling them, you can list them here, on aquabid, and even eBay. Selling is better than donating because you get a return on your investment.

If you need live food for your breeding, I have microworms I can sell you. I prefer microworms because they have more nutrients and are easier to culture than bloodworms. Of you are interested in a starter culture I can ship you a one ounce bag of live worms for $2.99. I can ship free within the US.

I wish you best of luck on your breeding project and feel free to keep in touch of you need supplies or advice!

[email protected]
www.upstatebettas.com

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
Breeding veils is only an issue when it comes to rehoming. After fumbling around with different pairs for a while, I ONLY breed veils. They don't sell for much, but they have been easy for me to rehome, and if I wanted to make money, this is the wrong hobby.

·
Super Moderator
6,442 Posts
1. Someone mentioned not using VT's to breed. Or use breeding-grade Betta fish.
Basically same answer. In Indo VT are actually rare - or at least in my city. People lost interest breeding them because they don't make that much money.

2. How long can I keep the Free Swimming Betta fry in one tank?
As long as they are showing constant growth. The bigger the tank the longer you can keep them in that tank. Usually 200-300 will only last for 4 weeks in a 60 ltr tank (I think its 13g). I either move them to a 50g or separate them into smaller groups.

3. Should I put some Betta fry/fish for adoption?, or try donating them to local aquarium shops?
Definitely. You don't want to keep every single fish you produce - too much expense. Just keep the ones you like/need.

4. Can the females/sisters stay in one tank?
Yes - most of them anyway. Some will be too aggressive and you want those out as soon as possible because they will spread aggression very quickly.

5. Where can I find bloodworms?, I don't think they sell those at my local aquarium shops.
You can feed them the regular pellets or other frozen foods. If there is a bird market close by, you should be able to buy ant eggs which is also very nutritious. If you live near villages (padi fields), you should be able to catch live foods. But be sure to rinse them thoroughly before feeding to fish.

If your area is safe from diseases, you can culture your own mosq larvae or bloodworms. . . . I'm assuming you are asking adult food.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
As for selling them, you can list them here, on aquabid, and even eBay. Selling is better than donating because you get a return on your investment.

If you need live food for your breeding, I have microworms I can sell you. I prefer microworms because they have more nutrients and are easier to culture than bloodworms. Of you are interested in a starter culture I can ship you a one ounce bag of live worms for $2.99. I can ship free within the US.

I wish you best of luck on your breeding project and feel free to keep in touch of you need supplies or advice!
Thanks upstatebettas! I'll keep in touch, but how much is Intl. Shipping for Malaysia? sorry for any inconvenience if I had, I know you are probably very busy. :)

Breeding veils is only an issue when it comes to rehoming. After fumbling around with different pairs for a while, I ONLY breed veils. They don't sell for much, but they have been easy for me to regime, and if I wanted to make money, this is the wrong hobby.
I see. Thank you very much!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts