Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My betta makes the occasional bubble nest but for the most part he just spits random, messy bubbles all over the surface of the water in no particular pattern. Is he just inept or is there a method to his madness? It's kind of gross. :sick:

·
Registered
6,460 Posts
hows the humidity in your tank? it might just be that his nests dont hold because the surface air is too dry

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, it's June in Virginia, so no shortage of humidity. Altho I did recently replace his solid lid with a mesh one to keep the temperature from rising and that probably reduced the humidity right on the surface.

He did build a little round nest last night and it's still intact this morning. And the bubbles all over the surface don't move either - they are just messy and random and apparently held in place by fish spit.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
My guy used to do that before. He made the occasional "real" nest. He maybe too young to actually make one. Also if the surface of the water doesn't move at all, it could get kinda weird looking.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I always figured my betta was "testing" the water currents in his tank, looking for the perfect spot to build a nest. The filter is baffled, so only part of the tank has a little surface current. He randomly blows bubbles, watches them, and after several seconds, will return to where he blew the bubble as if checking to see if it stayed put. That's my two cents.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts