Does it have a heater? Yes
What temperature is your tank? 86F
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind? No

Food:
What food brand do you use? Tetra Betta Min select a food
Do you feed flakes or pellets? Usually flakes but occasionally pellets
Freeze-dried? Yes
How often do you feed your Betta? How much?
Once an evening
Maintenance:
Before your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change? Once a week, not really sure if it’s an illness
What percentage of water did you change? 1/3
What is the source of your water? Kroger bottled spring water
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water? Vacuum the aquarium sand
What additives do you use other than conditioner? What brand of conditioner? API bettaSafe, API aquarium salt.

Water Parameters:
What are your water parameters? Please give exact numbers. If tested by pet store please get exact numbers. "Fine" or "Safe" won't help us help you. Important: Test your water before the regular water change; not after one.

Ammonia: normal, < 0.02p
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
pH: 7.5
Hardness (GH): 189
Alkalinity (KH): 80

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms? Last night my Wife noticed shiny pinpoints indicating Ick, which I chemically treated with API Super Ick Cure and raising the temperature to 86F. This morning, we woke up to find that the Ick was gone. I went to the store and when I came back, he had a small air bubble seemingly suspended by a fiber coming out of his left gill. I barely had a chance to get a picture before he swam under his floating log and came out bubble-less.
How has your Betta’s appearance changed? It hasn’t.
How has your Betta’s behavior changed? It hasn’t
Is your Betta still eating? Yes.
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how? API super Ick cure and raising tank temperature from 80F to 86F
Does your Betta have any history of being ill? No.
How long have you owned your Betta? Since January 2020
Was he or she ill or suffering some sort of damage when purchased? He had a big “racing stripe” right after we got him because my wife put him into a divided 10 gallon tank with another betta, but 3 days later I brought him back home and put him in his own tank.

He’s had Ick before, but I’m concerned this might be something different.

We’ve had two other bettas pass away this month, one from advanced Ick and the other (yesterday) because his very large wound tumor got damaged and he lost too much blood.

This guy is all we have left, he’s over a year old, but he’s my buddy. I moved him into the three gallon tank because he’s getting older and slower, and so he can be by me while I do college from home. He seems happy, he eats well (and knows when he’s gonna be fed) follows my finger and a laser pointer, jumps up to get my finger, and looks like he might be enjoying exploring all the nooks and crannies of his new tank.

Normally, yes, he would be in a 5 or 10, but a 3 has its advantages when it comes to cleaning and maintenance.

The water from the tap is extremely hard and has a ridiculously high Ph, that’s why I get gallon jugs of spring water from Kroger.
5B2556F8-E2A1-4FA3-B84B-97C9FB73672C.jpeg

This is also probably the first clear picture I have of Pollux. Normally, he zooms back and forth across the glass (and he still does), I guess i just caught him in a quiet moment.

He's also always been that color, I guess he isn't the prettiest thing. He's never been a tail-biter, he's just one cool dude that swims around and occasionally watches me while I study.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
His tank setup. He likes to hide behind the sticky note when his bed leaf is in, but right now it’s out because the Ick treatment hardens the silicone suction cup.
4948767C-5345-48C8-95F2-2A6E09567C9F.jpeg

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I also did a 1 gallon water change and redid the Ick treatment just now, because he still has little shiny specks on some places. I also visited my local big box pet store. (the actual local fish store he came from, I'd rank 0/10, never going there again), because I taught marching band to one of the associates, who also keeps bettas, she thinks it might be one of his mucous bubbles that got caught in a of hair that might have gotten in the tank, but she also said there might be the possibility of worms. Im still treating with APIs Super Ick Cure, but would it hurt to add a little API Stress Coat+?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts