Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a problem! I've been cycling this tank for a little over two weeks and it started to bubble. My partner has asked other forums and they all said it could be soap if we cleaned the tank with soap. the thing is we didn't clean the tank with soap (Never!) and just in case, our daughter of six came up behind me and tried to help clean the tank we looked at the bubbles to see a shine, in case it was soap. but there is no shine. Another forum says it could be protein but there is no fish in it yet or any other life form in the tank to cause protein. Does anyone have an idea what else it could be? and is it safe to start introducing a Betta? it's also a little dusty/blurry. is that okay?
Here are two picture of the tank!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Hi! If you skim the bubbles off do they form again? ....I don't know, others may disagree with me but personally I think I'd take everything out, use a diluted vinegar solution (half water half vinegar) to clean everything, let it all dry and start again.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
It's not unheard of to have something in your water that creates some bubbles (My own tanks do this sometimes if I slack on water changes), but that's quite a lot of suds!

I'd start with doing a 100% water change (or however much you can get out, considering it's already got substrate & plants in it) and seeing if that clears up the bubbles. Before adding it to your tank, put some fresh water in a bottle and shake it up really well to see if your tap water is predisposed to foam.

Normally I don't think activated carbon makes much of a difference, but here's an example of when it may be a good idea to use some- so if there isn't any carbon in your filter I would add some, and if there already was some, I'd replace it. Something like Purigen might also help, but I've never used it so I can't say for sure.

What's the source of the driftwood, and did you boil it before it went in the tank? It's possible that it had some sort of treatment applied to it, or if you picked it up "in the wild" it may have been contaminated with something. It looks like you don't have any plants directly attached to it, so it couldn't hurt to take it out and give it a good scrub (clean sponge, no soap obviously- you might use vinegar, but then you'd need to soak it for a couple of days with frequent water changes to make sure it's all gone, because wood is porous) and boil it for a while if you hadn't already done so.

I would however like to point out that the plants and even driftwood are a source of protein, as well as microscopic organisms that grow similar to algae (commonly called "infusoria"). So even without a fish, there is some protein in the tank already. But I still think there's something more going on because of the amount of foam.

And you said you've been cycling it- are you adding liquid ammonia? If so, triple check that the bottle doesn't have any additives, like soaps or foaming agents.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's not unheard of to have something in your water that creates some bubbles (My own tanks do this sometimes if I slack on water changes), but that's quite a lot of suds!

I'd start with doing a 100% water change (or however much you can get out, considering it's already got substrate & plants in it) and seeing if that clears up the bubbles. Before adding it to your tank, put some fresh water in a bottle and shake it up really well to see if your tap water is predisposed to foam.

Normally I don't think activated carbon makes much of a difference, but here's an example of when it may be a good idea to use some- so if there isn't any carbon in your filter I would add some, and if there already was some, I'd replace it. Something like Purigen might also help, but I've never used it so I can't say for sure.

What's the source of the driftwood, and did you boil it before it went in the tank? It's possible that it had some sort of treatment applied to it, or if you picked it up "in the wild" it may have been contaminated with something. It looks like you don't have any plants directly attached to it, so it couldn't hurt to take it out and give it a good scrub (clean sponge, no soap obviously- you might use vinegar, but then you'd need to soak it for a couple of days with frequent water changes to make sure it's all gone, because wood is porous) and boil it for a while if you hadn't already done so.

I would however like to point out that the plants and even driftwood are a source of protein, as well as microscopic organisms that grow similar to algae (commonly called "infusoria"). So even without a fish, there is some protein in the tank already. But I still think there's something more going on because of the amount of foam.

And you said you've been cycling it- are you adding liquid ammonia? If so, triple check that the bottle doesn't have any additives, like soaps or foaming agents.
Thanks! We decided to do a full water change. And just clean almost to everything. The drift wood is from the local fish store, and i already spoke to them about the wood. Thanks again, and will keep an update on the changes!!!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts