Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all! Its been a while XP
So, just to get straight to the point, I am back into betta breeding and trying to get a pair to breed. I wanted to try a different way of breeding for this pair so I have a bucket (not see through) and there is water, an indian almond leaf, java moss, a terra cotta pot, a heater, half a plastic cup, and a lid from a container, all in it. I'm conditioning the pair right now even though the female already looks like she is going to burst and I am planning to breed them on February 5th.

Now does all of this sound ok for breeding? Oh! and the bucket is only about half way filled so that the eggs don't falls far. I can post pictures if needed.

·
Super Moderator
6,442 Posts
The principle of breeding in buckets is basically the same as in glass tanks. The main difference is you can't see through the plastic wall, making it more difficult to control your spawn.

I breed in plastic tubs. To make control easier, I don't use any floating plants like water lettuces nor cups as nesting areas. I could see the whole tub from above. I also don't use pumps/filters during spawning.

Your setup sounds good. How big is the bucket - you need to consider the frequency of WC, specially during the first few weeks when the fry are too small to avoid suction.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i've got just above 2 gallons in the bucket because i didnt want the water level to be any higher and there is still plenty of room and multiple hiding places. I will be doing 20% water changes every day for the first week. I've also got a lot of brine shrimp eggs that I can hatch once I know that the spawn was successful and can get the necessary live food and dried food as the fry age.
I really hope this spawn works, my first white pair XD

·
Super Moderator
6,442 Posts
I'm guessing it's a normal tall type of bucket. 2g is not much. Just be extra careful that your female can avoid the male when needed.

I prefer a shallow but wide tub. Though in terms of water volume it may be small, but the fish have a wide area to cover.

Good luck. keep us posted.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ya this bucket is a bit wider than usual ones so they have more room to spread away from eachother plus this male is extremely gentle so I could probably keep him in a tank with another female and have them breed just like guppies(I wouldn't do this though).
Its my first time trying this method so I hope all goes well, normally I do spawning the Thai Way and have had much success.

I'll try to get the camera from my parents tonight and take some pictures. :)

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think this breeding method is cancelled for now since my bucket ended up leaking. I'll see if I can get another one soon, if the parents will drive me, and start all over again. Ugh, I hate when this kind of stuff happens.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Aww!! That's too bad, but just be happy that you are Allowed to breed at all. :)

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Oh believe me, I know that I'm lucky, lol. I've actually got a whole fish room which most people don't have. I've been breeding guppies and other fish for years now though so I think my parents finally got fed up with all of the tanks scattered around my bedroom. XP

I talked to my mom and she gave me another bucket, the same kind, that my dad didn't want so I'm going to take pictures of how I am setting it all up and of my pair. I will track the spawn on this thread. If this succeeds then it could be considered a new breeding method. yay!

I hope you all enjoy this!

·
Registered
766 Posts
Wow!! You are really lucky that you have your own fish room!! I am lucky I have a fish tank! That must be so cool! Where do you plan to send the fish once they are born?

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Once my fish have spent enough time in their grow-out tank/pond I normally sell them to Big Al's Fish Store, some friends I have who are interested, or I trade them with breeders nearby. I want to start putting my fish up on aquabid but I don't know the specifics on shipping out of the country yet so that'll have to wait. I do have homes for any and all fry though so no worries. :) Oh! and pictures will be in my next post!!

·
Registered
766 Posts
Awesome!! I can't wait to see them! :)

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Bucket Breeding Journal 1

The Setup
-I have filled the bucket with 5 Litres of Fresh, Dechlorinated Water, 2 Litres of Infusoria Water from my planted aquarium, and 600 mL of banana leaf extract.
-There are two heaters in the bucket, one that is set at 84degrees and the other which is unprogrammable. These keep the temperature between 80-84 degrees.
-I also have some java moss in the bucket to help boost the levels of infusoria.
-Half of a styrofoam cup is also in the bucket so that the male betta can built his bubble nest under it.

Onto The Pair:
Male- Cellophane and Brown Marble Plakat
http://i997.photobucket.com/albums/af95/GuppyLover101/Betta Fish/Bucketbreeding006.jpg?t=1296682183

Female- Aquamarine and Red Combtail
http://i997.photobucket.com/albums/af95/GuppyLover101/Betta Fish/Bucketbreeding004.jpg?t=1296682183

I'm guessing, now im not a whiz at genetics, that I will get Plakats, Combtail Plakats, Veiltails, and Combtails. MAYBE if I'm lucky I will get a crowntail since the female carries that gene but I'm not certain.
I'm breeding this pair:
1.To test out this breeding method and...
2.To see what kind of colours and tail types this pair will throw at me.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Awww cute!! What do you expect the fry to look like?

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well I'm expecting blue and red mixes, blue and cellophane marble, red and cellophane marble, mixes of red, blue, cellophane, and brown marble. In terms of tail types I'm expecting comtails, plakats, plakat combtails, MAYBE a couple crowntails. Its gonna be some crazy mixes but I'm expecting some beautiful fish from these two.
I have my fingers crossed that half the babies have the same eyes as their daddy which are a sky blue colour.

·
Registered
766 Posts
You can get more than one tail type from a single spawn? I never knew that!

1 - 20 of 46 Posts