Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About a week ago, I noticed a bump on my Betta's face, right I front of his eye. I was really worried about it, but could find nothing on the internet that informed me what it was or how to treat it. The bump has been getting bigger and bigger throughout the week and got some red spots on it (loose scales?). Does anyone know what it is? How do I treat it? Is it fatal? Please help!! Attatched is a picture from above of the bump. If you need any other pictures or information, feel free to ask. Thanks in advance!

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Housing:
How many gallons is your tank? 2 gallons
Does it have a filter? Yes
Does it have a heater? Yes
What temperature is your tank? 76 degrees
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind? No

Food:
What food brand do you use? Aqueon
Do you feed flakes or pellets? Pellets
Freeze-dried? No
How often do you feed your Betta? How much? Once a day, as much as he will eat (not much)

Maintenance:
Before your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change? 2 weeks with filter
What percentage of water did you change? 50%
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water? I use a turkey baster to get it out by hand
What additives do you use? Water conditioner

Water Parameters:
What are your water parameters? Please give exact numbers. If tested by pet store please get exact numbers. "Fine" or "Safe" won't help us help you.

Ammonia: ?
Nitrite: ?
Nitrate: ?
pH: ?
Hardness (GH): ?
Alkalinity (KH): ?

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms? A little over a week ago
How has your Betta’s appearance changed? He has a bump right in front of his eye
How has your Betta’s behavior changed? Nothing that I have noticed
Is your Betta still eating? Yes
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how? No, I don't know how to
Does your Betta have any history of being ill? No
How long have you owned your Betta? Over a year
Was he or she a rescue? No

Hope this helps!

Attachments

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
His water change schedule is not frequent enough. A turkey is good for spot cleaning but not sufficient for regular cleaning. A siphon is much better. Can you get a siphon to clean his tank?

Cleaning his tank really well and change his water before starting treatment.
This tells you want the proper water change schedule is:
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=115758

He may have lymphocytis or hopefully an easier to cure infection (but more likely lymphocytis). If it will clear up keeping his tank really clean on a proper schedule is important. You could try kanaplex per instructions on the package dosed his tank size. and giving him daily methylene blue baths. Preferably you want to this in a hospital tank because antibiotics will kill off the beneficial bacteria in your tank. Please post a picture of his whole tank too it might be helpful.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts