Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It looks like a little pimple right where his tail fin meets his body. It doesn't seem to be interfering with his movement or bothering him at all, but I want to catch and treat it before it (potentially) gets serious.

It's been just a tiny, barely visible bump for a couple weeks now, and I assumed that it was the same thing as the white bump on top of his head that's mostly gone now. Someone here told me that that was most likely a virus called Lymphocystis that could be treated by keeping his water clean and warm, etc.

However, the one on his tail never went away, and then this morning I noticed that it had gotten bigger, and looked different. Not like a tiny cauliflower (on his head), but like a whitehead pimple (gross I know). I'll try to get a picture tomorrow.

Here's a link to that other thread: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=394218&page=2

And here's his info:
Housing
What size is your tank? - 10 gallons
What temperature is your tank? - 82* F
Does your tank have a filter? no
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? - Nerite Snail and Moss ball

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? - Frozen bloodworms (the healthy kind), NLS, and OO
How often do you feed your betta fish? - 3x a day

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? - every 2 or 3 days, with top-offs in between if I think he needs it.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? - ~20%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? - API stress coat

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? - I take it to be tested at my LFS and they say it's where it's supposed to be.

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? - bump on tail is bigger today than it has been.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? - behavior hasn't changed
When did you start noticing the symptoms? - this morning
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? - I did a 30% water change and left him in the dark for a while to reduce stress, and I also added a double dose of the API stress coat.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? - yes, he's had Ich and fin rot
How old is your fish (approximately)? a little over a year

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
I'll wait for the picture but it sounds like a normal cyst for this one. Again, I'll wait for the picture.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It actually got smaller a couple of days later. Now it's almost gone and he seems fine.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts