Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am venturing into the world of aquascaping, and I just need a quick refresher on what I can bury and what I can't (or what can be half buried).

I know that Anubias sp. have a rhizome that cannot be buried.
I bought some bulbs (similar to the ones that Tree just got on her other thread) that say that they could be buried 3/4 in substrate.

The ones that I have questions about:
Java Fern
Dwarf Lily

Are there any other plants that have unusual burying requirements?

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
Stems: buried as far as you'd like
Rosettes (Swords and Ferns): Roots buried but crown exposed (where the leaves grow out of)
Floaters: not planted
Rhizome/Hardscape plants: tied to decor/driftwood, floated, or roots only buried in substrate
Mosses: tied to decor/driftwood or floated
Bulbs/Aponogeton: 1/2-3/4 pushed into substrate

That covers the average plants. Java Fern is a Rhizome plant same as Anubias. Lily is a bulb

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Goodness gracious! Thank you for all of that information!

My java ferns have teeny tiny roots, so its difficult to pull them out just enough so that the rhizome isn't covered
D:

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
Np! So in that case they should be floated or tied to some sort of decor or driftwood until their roots are much longer.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Goodness gracious! Thank you for all of that information!

My java ferns have teeny tiny roots, so its difficult to pull them out just enough so that the rhizome isn't covered
D:
Java fern is pretty durable. The roots are so fine I often find it very difficult to only bury roots, and usually bury at least half the rhizome if not the whole thing, and no issue. And even if part of it dies, it will likely start taking off and growing like crazy a bit later.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
While I have you all here: Is there any way to propagate a rhizome or bulb plant? I am so impatient waiting for all of my plants to fill in!

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
You just split the Rhizome's wherever you want, in half, in fourths, whatever you want. You can't really propagate bulbs since they usually need to flower and pollinate each other. You can take off the leaves from the bulbs but I'm not sure if the bulb will grow out more leaves or not, I've never done it before but I know the split off leaves will continue to grow. They grow best if you just let the bulb do it's thing though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.