Betta Fish Forum banner

41 - 60 of 112 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Alright, I was just throwing an idea out there. Because while I was running this contest somebody messaged me and asking if they could give a free betta sketch to the winner. Did you get permission for you contest yet, BTW moderators like LOTS of details.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
That's a great idea, I would totally do something like that if I had the time right now but I'm doing an art challenge called Acrylic April where you try to paint something based on a word prompt(optional) every day. You should do sketches, it would be awesome. 💜
I messaged a moderator but that's it so far. Thanks for the advice! Can I copy parts of your challenge?

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Wow, that sure is a full tank! Look at all those fry, and they're growing up so cute, too. :)

I'm not sure if you're still on the fence about Zym's sex, but I'll throw in my two cents and say they look female to me. You can check for sure with a flashlight, but I think I can see the shape of ovaries under their scales.

(Also, I was the person who offered art for Fish 4 sale's contest! I never heard back so it didn't end up happening, but if you're interested in having an art prize for the contest you're planning, send me a message and I'd be happy to work out the details~)

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Zym definitely looks female right now, as do the other fry, but they're still so young I think. I could check with a flashlight for ovaries though like you said, Rana. I'm on close watch daily to make sure there's no fin nipping.
Rana, are you saying you'd be willing to do sketches of the betta winners in a contest? 😮

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Sorry I forgot to reply to that message you sent, though I decided against giving prizes because I doubt you could ship overseas.
No worries! I decided not to follow up because I figured you were busy or had decided against it, and I didn't want to bother you. :)

Zym definitely looks female right now, as do the other fry, but they're still so young I think. I could check with a flashlight for ovaries though like you said, Rana. I'm on close watch daily to make sure there's no fin nipping.
Rana, are you saying you'd be willing to do sketches of the betta winners in a contest? 😮
And yup! If there's not too many categories I'm offering to draw all of the first place winner's bettas, and if they're in the USA I can mail them the original drawing as well as uploading a scan to post online (If they're willing to let me know their address). If they're international unfortunately I can't afford shipping, so they- and anyone who doesn't want to tell me their address- would just get a digital file of the picture.

Just make sure to get a mod's permission, if you decide to offer this as a prize. And if you have more questions about the details or anything, please send me a PM, I lose track of threads pretty easily. :)

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Wow Rana, you are so generous o_O thanks a bunch, you're awesome. I'm gonna be messaging the mods soon with my proposal (and at that point I'll message you) and if I get approved for a contest it'll be in about 2 weeks from now.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Update time! 6 weeks and 8 weeks old today!
There's 3 little ones who have trouble swimming still living in the cup at the surface so I make sure they eat enough and get air.
Last night I found a good sized fry that looked like his eye had been plucked out and was swimming in tight circles. I quickly scooped him up in a cup and I thought he would die overnight - thats how rough he was looking. But this morning he was swimming and acting fine and his eye looked normal except maybe like something might have been on it so after observing him for a few hours I let him back in with the rest of his siblings. I still haven't seen any biting, just chasing, so Idk what happened to that ones eye. Maybe I need to keep a closer eye on them. 🧐
The 3 originals are doing great, still growing well. I give them little bits of bloodworm or something thats mixed in with my flakes and they like it. Also giving the rest of the fry flakes regularly now and as my dad says, they are "digging it" so thats good. Not out of bbs yet but just want to wean them slowly. :giggle:
Filled the tank up full for the first time today and added in a few more little hides for them to explore. 😍

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Best photos of Zym I could get right now. Zym flares often at siblings, I am wondering if Zym is starting to become male. Is 2 months too soon for gender development and identification?

I think its funny that Zym looks like dad and the other two look like mom right now.

So I'm wanting to move these 3 originals to my 6.7 gallon soon. But if Zym is a boy I will just move him for now.
Any thoughts/advice is helpful, I'm open ears. :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
I would go with you and say he‘s a male 🤔 But as long as they are not harming each other you can move them together. To identify gender you can put a strong light behind them and try to see their ovaties, if you can see them their female. But thats sometimes a bit hard on darkbodyed fish. So you can go after form - females appear fuller than males. Photos how ovaries in bettas look like you can find on google.
Btw they look pretty cool already! You could try to pair two siblings when they are older - so you can get dumbos :D

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
I had to separate all 3 of the originals. Once I removed Zym, the other 2 were chasing and staring each other down non stop. So they're all separate now and doing fine, though I think they may miss one another.
I could pair siblings for a new spawn but I'm not sure I'd want to try for elephant ears- I'm liking smaller finned better now as they have an easier time swimming. We will see! If all goes well as this spawn grows up and I feel like I did a good job raising them, then maybe. :)

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
I put Zyms 2 siblings in with the rest of the fry from the second spawn and they seem to be doing way better when there's so many fish instead of a few. One of them looks like it might be male and the other is looking possibly female but its too soon to know for sure. I better take pictures tomorrow as it will be their 7 and 9 week old day!

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Here's a size comparison of Zubeia, Zym, and Avizandum.

Here's Zym being a gorgeous boy 😍 my beautiful baby dragon prince. He might be a full halfmoon based on the first photo. He's been making a bubble nest ever since I gave him his own tank space (just like his dad who always has a nest made).

Here's sibs in the big wide world grow out tank. Brown algea started growing so I made a background so the sun doesn't shine in through the window into my tank. I painted some avatar related yin yang koi fish on some canvas and put plastic over it to protect it from water.

I think this is the one that might turn out to be a boy too, with slightly more length/growth to fins compared to the other.

Here's the slightly smaller one.

Attachments

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
The attachment photo is not the smallest sibling, its the other one that might be a boy. Didn't see it was attached there ugh 🙄

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
Home sweet home!

Hungry for dindin!

The bigger of the 2 larger sibs:

I think they might be a male. They paled in color a lot today.

The smaller if the 2 larger sibs:

I think this ones gonna be female.

Some of my fry have developed a problem swimming/staying upright. A couple yesterday and a couple more today. Maybe it's a swim bladder issue but im not sure. I feel bad. Their bodies have an S shape. I am keeping them in a cup on the surface to observe them. :(

41 - 60 of 112 Posts