Betta Fish Forum banner

81 - 100 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
I moved the smaller fry to my 6.7 gallon tank so the bigger fry have the 20 gallon all to themselves now.

Here's Cloud and a blue fry. Cloud became all white (cellophane?) As of 2 days ago.

I think this is the biggest fry in the grow out tank, I'm betting he's gonna turn out looking like Zym.

this guy looks cool, I bet this fry will turn out looking like Squall!

Speaking of Squall, look at him now! Also, he's had a bubble nest competition going with Zym for the last couple days. That's a full half-moon tail right?

And here's Zym

And Pyrrah

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
I've done some jarring in the last few days of the most aggressive fry but I'm still having trouble telling genders. I shine a light through the body but I just haven't gotten the hang of it yet.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
They're so pretty! What a lovely variety of blues, and the bigg'uns are looking mighty fine.

Just out of curiosity, have any shown the EE trait? I don't know enough about its genetics to know if it would show up in a first-generation spawn. :)

If you're having trouble sexing by looking for ovaries, you can absolutely use "secondary" traits to help. IMO they're not as conclusive but if you get good at identifying them, they can definitely be helpful. The most clear traits I can think of are that males have a larger "beard" membrane which unfolds when they flare, it sticks out like a ruff while females mostly won't extend past the gill covers. The other sign is ventrals that are thick/broad and generally large, since even Plakat males will- usually- have larger ventrals than females. Long-finned females may have long ventrals, but they tend to be thinner. But these traits are sometimes not clear especially when the bettas are young, and there's always cases of females with thick ventrals and males who haven't grown a "beard" etc.

Sexing all those fry is definitely something I don't envy about people who raise spawns!

·
Registered
30 Posts
I think your fry have now a size and age where you should be able to see the eggspot on the females. It’s simpler to see on dark ones. A little white point at their belly’s just where their ventrals are.
But until you like to sell them it’s not that important what gender they are, even aggressive females have to be jarred
And some of your fry definitely have the marble gen, but I think more that they will going to be grizzle like your Squall than koi

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
Thank you both so much for responding!! I completely forgot about the egg spot.
Rana, I just read yesterday that EE is very recessive and only up to a third will develop it. I'm guessing maybe a few of mine might at most.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #86
I'm in the process of setting up my sisters 29 gallon tank for the bigger spawn to grow out in. I had to buy more plants so I'd have enough. Checked in with the people at my pet store and everything's still all set for them to help home the bettas I don't have space for. (y)
Just some random photos from a couple days ago.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #87
You can kinda see inside Clouds body here, no ovaries right? Still trying to get the hang of gender identification but I think a lot haven't developed yet.

Zym's ventrals have turned white :love:

"Mommmmm, stop taking pictures of me!" :LOL:

I like the grizzle coloration

Sorry for dirty glass.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
I love seeing them color up, they're so cute! And Zym is turning into quite the stunner~

Cloud (assuming we're talking about the same fish) looks male to me! The pic's blurry so it's hard to be 100%, but I don't see any indications of developing ovaries. I've put some lines on your photo to illustrate what I'm looking for:

The red line shows off his round belly. The blue line is pointed to a triangle shape, so you might be fooled into thinking of ovaries- but look at the green line, which is his spine. The blue triangle is very high up in his body and points up towards his spine. That's actually more of his main organs, I believe the kidneys. By the time a betta is all grown up, the shape is more compact and harder to differentiate from the main mass of his stomach area.

The real key is that the area under his spine is totally shadow-free, which means (based on this pic) he's most likely male.

To compare, here's my "baby" Polaris when she was about 2.5 months old (estimated), you can just make out the beginnings of ovaries in this picture. Ovaries are always in the lower half of the body and do not point up towards the spine.

I've used the same colors- red for stomach, blue for kidneys, and green for spine. The yellow triangle is her ovaries, which were fairly small at that age but are now quite large and obvious, even though she herself is still just a little bean.

Good luck sexing the rest of the spawn! You've only got what, a hundred more to go? ;)

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #89
@Rana thank you so much! I didn't see your comment till now but you answered exactly what I needed answered! :D Your girl Polaris is so cute!

·
Registered
223 Posts
Wow! That one with the black face is so cool! They are all adorable. Looking at them now it’s almost Hard to believe they were practically the size of eyelashes at the beginning!

·
Registered
10 Posts
super amazing transformations! I noticed that they all colored up a lot when separated. Beautiful colors and amazing variation! This is what makes it all worth it, I love seeing them grow.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #95
The biggest of the fry are in the 29 gallon now. There's more than I thought, I'm thinking there might be 100 in here. And at least 50 in the smaller group.

^ heres Pyrrah, she's in with the other fry now and not aggressive at all, just a pig.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #99
3 fry, including Pyrrah, wedged themselves under that long log and couldn't get out. I noticed I hadn't seen Pyrrah in a few hours. I feel so bad :cry: they didn't make it!
I moved the log vertically so they can't go under it now...

81 - 100 of 113 Posts