Betta Fish Forum banner

Should I get a betta sorority with my current tank fish in a 36 gallon tank?

• Definitely!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Definitely not!

Votes: 3 100.0%
  • You can try? Not exactly sure how they will act.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

So recently we just got a new 36 gallon tank which is a huge upgrade from our small 5 gallon tank and I'm trying to see if I can get a betta sorority to start living in the tank. I've had betta fishes before in the 5 gallon tank but stopped getting them after a few years since you couldn't put much fish in with a betta in a 5 gallon tank without the betta getting agressive (specifically the male bettas would get really aggressive when we added other fish in with him).

As of right now in our 5 gallon tank, we have 2 angelfish (males), 2 gray shark minnows and 1 red shark minnow (bala shark from petsmart - they're more slim and thin not rounded - not sure of their genders) and 4 snails (not sure what type they are but 2 are huge and white and 2 are small and black).
And yes, I realize they are too many fish for this tank which is why we got a bigger one to accommodate them all, but since it'll be a 36 gallon tank, there's still more room for a few more fish.

I was hoping a betta sorority would be good, but not sure on how to make sure all females are compatible with each other since I've never tried it before. Would it take a week for them to get used to each other? How many should I put in a sorority? Is 4 betta females fine? But, the most important question I was wondering was if it's okay to put a betta sorority with the fish I currently have. I realized that angelfish are part of the cichlid family and can be a bit aggressive but I wasn't sure if a bigger tank would help to lessen the aggressiveness? My two male angelfish nip each other at times but it's random throughout the day and one might chase a shark minnow here and there but nothing that causes harm.

Please let me know if a betta sorority with these tank mates are good. (Also to keep in mind that the betta that I was planning to get was a veiltail betta female.)

Thanks!

·
Registered
230 Posts
Hello!

So recently we just got a new 36 gallon tank which is a huge upgrade from our small 5 gallon tank and I'm trying to see if I can get a betta sorority to start living in the tank. I've had betta fishes before in the 5 gallon tank but stopped getting them after a few years since you couldn't put much fish in with a betta in a 5 gallon tank without the betta getting agressive (specifically the male bettas would get really aggressive when we added other fish in with him).

As of right now in our 5 gallon tank, we have 2 angelfish (males), 2 gray shark minnows and 1 red shark minnow (bala shark from petsmart - they're more slim and thin not rounded - not sure of their genders) and 4 snails (not sure what type they are but 2 are huge and white and 2 are small and black).
And yes, I realize they are too many fish for this tank which is why we got a bigger one to accommodate them all, but since it'll be a 36 gallon tank, there's still more room for a few more fish.

I was hoping a betta sorority would be good, but not sure on how to make sure all females are compatible with each other since I've never tried it before. Would it take a week for them to get used to each other? How many should I put in a sorority? Is 4 betta females fine? But, the most important question I was wondering was if it's okay to put a betta sorority with the fish I currently have. I realized that angelfish are part of the cichlid family and can be a bit aggressive but I wasn't sure if a bigger tank would help to lessen the aggressiveness? My two male angelfish nip each other at times but it's random throughout the day and one might chase a shark minnow here and there but nothing that causes harm.

Please let me know if a betta sorority with these tank mates are good. (Also to keep in mind that the betta that I was planning to get was a veiltail betta female.)

Thanks!
You're asking for trouble adding any Bettas in to that mix, much less a sorority. That's too many nippy fish (and I'm including the Bettas in that).
Females should be in no smaller than a 5 group, and they will often turn on each other down the line.

I wouldn't even do a sorority on it's own much less with the other fish already in there. Unless you don't mind someone dying for it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If I just put one betta female, will the one betta fish be more of a target then?

Thanks for the response!

·
Registered
230 Posts
If I just put one betta female, will the one betta fish be more of a target then?

Thanks for the response!
Well, I have a betta female who is an Alpha, in every way. I adore her, but the reality is that she needs her space and a lot of it - particularly from fish that look like her (flashy, same colors, same size). My last betta female was probably even worse. Violent even when she didn't get her space. Somehow she tolerated the Angelfish (actually both of them seem{ed} to either enjoy the solo Angel's company, or at least not care), but the Rams? Were a target for both of them.

My blue betta female will 'attack' my arm to jump out of her tank - literally propelling herself up my arm by biting it, and then hurling herself out( for fun? Boredom? Doesn't like me not paying attention to her?). She's eaten 2 very expensive shrimp and went hunting for the rest when I uncovered their hiding spot. She had to be moved to a small tank while I figured out what was going on with her fins (I honestly think she was up to no good and got herself hurt) and I still don't know what to do with her yet.
My previous female was a jumper too. And aggressive.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that the females aren't necessarily the docile ones. That's why they suggest no less than 5, to split up some of the tension; but that doesn't usually work as they get older.

I have 3 males who aren't entirely mellow (one of them is so chill he reminds me of surfer 'dudes' I grew up with) but they aren't like the females I've had. Only 1 male of the most recent 4 would I call aggressive though.

If I were to suggest a betta? I'd say find a mellow, short finned plakat - and consider a male. At least try for a betta that's been in a LFS tank with other fish for a while! I know one at a store nearby that hangs out fine with Tetras, Endlers, even the Angelfish, but the Electric Blue Rams next door? He hunts them from the other tank... they look too much like him I think.

Get a Betta that can swim away if needed, and doesn't provide "pretty" fins to nibble, but who's less likely to be an attacker as well. So they don't see similar looking fish in their vicinity.

And keep in mind when they catch your eye at the store, how do they behave? Are they curious? Are they attacking the walls of their enclosure? Energetic is great, but how is their energy focused? Are they scared in there? That might not go well with other fish either..

I honestly can't recall many females at the stores that have been what I would call mellow though. And considering they are the ones to attack the males after mating? Maybe that's just how they are...

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'd honestly be nervous putting females bettas in with the fish you listed, so perhaps look into different tank mates to complete your aquarium :D

I currently have a single female betta (established first for one week) before I added 4 cardinal tetras and a golden dojo loach.

My female betta was locally raised and has a friendly personality that is not aggressive at all. I'd have to agree with a previous reply and say that not all female bettas are friendly. I have had a sorority before where they got along at first, then a month later one of the fish started being aggressive and bullying her sisters (I had to move her to another tank by herself).

You know the fish you have better than me though, so if you believe there is a chance of aggression I'd cancel the idea. (Or have a backup tank for the sorority if they don't get along).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts