Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Super Moderator
19,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First, I buy all of my fish online. I buy from two main sources because I know they provide quality, fair prices and don't make blatantly false claims.

What burns me up are those Betta sellers who charge outlandish prices and claim "show quality" or "rare." Then you look and their "show quality"/"rare" Betta are not. Instead, they have glaring, major or disqualifying faults or are common. It is difficult when an owner wants an evaluation of a Betta purchased as show quality or rare and it isn't either.

Don't get me wrong; there is no reason to not buy Bettas with faults. I often buy such because what appeals to me appeals to me. If it's faulty then sobeit.

So, take a second look before you pay more because a Betta is called show quality or "rare." If you know the Betta has faults or isn't rare and are still willing to buy that's your informed choice. Just don't be duped into believing a Betta is something it's not and paying for it.

End of soapbox.

·
Registered
495 Posts
take a second look before you pay more because a Betta is called show quality or "rare."
Thanks for posting this - somewhat on the same line of things, my boy (and others) are presented to customers specifically as Black Orchids and have a higher price tag than some. I'm reasonably sure there's no such thing, and he's very fin heavy and bites them now and then from frustration at not being able to move better if I don't get his food in the right place of his favorite corner. (I keep his water as clean as I can, and he seems to be doing well other than that issue).

·
Super Moderator
19,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Heavily-finned Betta do have that issues.

There are Black Orchid Betta; but a lot of sellers call any black Betta a "Black Orchid." Here's a Crown Tail. Sadly, not mine.

black-orchid-crowntail-1.jpg

1 - 4 of 4 Posts