Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a Koi betta that was labeled male from one of my LFSs. I noticed that it doesn’t behave like my other males when their tanks are placed side by side. I’m not sure if he’s just very young, or if it’s really a she. I’m debating introducing into my female tank, but I want to be absolutely sure before I do. My female is a very calm, docile fish, so I don’t want it to harm her in any way. I’ve looked for an egg spot but this koi spends most of its time hiding under the plant, on the rocks, so it’s hard to get a good view of its belly... here are a couple pics to see if anyone can plz me help determine its gender... thanks in advance!

·
Registered
981 Posts
Hard to say but I'd guess female.
If you're going to have multiple females in the same tank, you need a minimum of 5 and I'd suggest at least a heavily planted 20 gallon.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Lovely betta!

First off: whichever sex this betta is, I really do not recommend putting it in the same tank as your female. Bettas are solitary and aggressive, and even females don't tolerate being together well. If you really want a "sorority" you'd need at least three females, preferable more, and a 20g tank that is heavily planted. But I really don't recommend sorority tanks for a variety of reasons.

Now on to the question of gender. The best, most reliable way to tell the sexes apart is to look for ovaries. Females have them, males don't. They are a cone-shaped organ behind the betta's stomach, extending towards their tail.

To find them, shine a light from behind your betta. If you see the shadow of a round stomach, and nothing else, they are male. If you see a triangular shadow extending beyond their stomach, that is the ovaries and your fish is female.

Other signs like temperament (Every betta has a unique personality, and females are just as prone to flaring as males), size, length & shape of fins, the presence of an "egg spot" (ovipositor), color, etc. are not as reliable. Some bettas "seem male" but are really female, and vice-versa.

I'm attaching a couple of pictures of bettas with the shadows of ovaries outlined, so you can see what to look for.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Lovely betta!

First off: whichever sex this betta is, I really do not recommend putting it in the same tank as your female. Bettas are solitary and aggressive, and even females don't tolerate being together well. If you really want a "sorority" you'd need at least three females, preferable more, and a 20g tank that is heavily planted. But I really don't recommend sorority tanks for a variety of reasons.

Now on to the question of gender. The best, most reliable way to tell the sexes apart is to look for ovaries. Females have them, males don't. They are a cone-shaped organ behind the betta's stomach, extending towards their tail.

To find them, shine a light from behind your betta. If you see the shadow of a round stomach, and nothing else, they are male. If you see a triangular shadow extending beyond their stomach, that is the ovaries and your fish is female.

Other signs like temperament (Every betta has a unique personality, and females are just as prone to flaring as males), size, length & shape of fins, the presence of an "egg spot" (ovipositor), color, etc. are not as reliable. Some bettas "seem male" but are really female, and vice-versa.

I'm attaching a couple of pictures of bettas with the shadows of ovaries outlined, so you can see what to look for.

View attachment 1017502
View attachment 1017503
Thank you for the shadow outlines. With this particular fish it’s very hard to shine a light behind him/her, as it tries to sink deeper in the rocks. It’s a VERY shy little guy, and doesn’t like the direct light intruding on it. I’ll just assume it’s female until proven otherwise, LOL. If it does turn out to be male, then I want to eventually try breeding it to my one female, but idk what colors I would come up with. The lavender butterfly HM dumbo male that I intended to breed with her decided he was done living and leapt onto my pillow today! I’m not new to bettas, just never had a Koi one before.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts