Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I got this guy a week and a half ago. First day he was fine. Next morning he had black lines and spots and he was flaring and doing his little attack wiggle all the time. I put in a light background and blocked the main reflection areas with plants. So that had stopped for the most part. It’s only a little each day so I’m not worried. The black lines didn’t go away though.

What is constant is his glass surfing. It was all sides so I went and got some silk plants to put in the corners and moved the live ones to go along the back and sides. I got him a tower decoration from him to explore too, in case he needed something else besides the plants. Still pacing constantly but now it’s mostly along the space under the filter where there isn’t a bunch of coverage. He is going into the rest of the tank a bit more now though.

The lines he made are still there, maybe a little better, but not much. He’s eating well, except if I feed him daphnia. Spits it out. Bloodworms and pellets he goes after fast. Am I missing anything? I don’t know what else to do for him. Is this just a platinum dragon thing? Idk exactly how different their scales are.

Tank:
-5.5 gallon
-78 degrees
-1 snail
-Ammonia, nitrate, nitrite all ideal (Tank cycled)
-R/O water that’s been remineralized to within betta range (140-150 ppm)
-Filter is on lowest flow and has a bottle piece hooked over to help even more with it

1st pic is when I first got him and he looked the same on both sides, no black spots. Second and third are from this morning as well as his tank.

Edit: found a small bubble nest this morning while feeding him. So I guess he’s happy enough to do that? He’s confusing me.

·
Super Moderator
22,880 Posts
I don't see stress stripes. I see a few new black scales and a dark line near his dorsal on his right side like those in photo two.

Unless the filter is blowing him all over the tank or he has no place to get away from it or to eat please remove the baffle. Tanks are healthier with good current. Somewhere I read a study that called it the circulatory system of the aquarium. Many Betta start playing in the output or bubble wands.

Black Dragons are so pretty. I've had a couple and they are really flashy.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I don't see stress stripes. I see a few new black scales and a dark line near his dorsal on his right side like those in photo two.

Unless the filter is blowing him all over the tank or he has no place to get away from it or to eat please remove the baffle. Tanks are healthier with good current. Somewhere I read a study that called it the circulatory system of the aquarium. Many Betta start playing in the output or bubble wands.

Black Dragons are so pretty. I've had a couple and they are really flashy.
he gets blown around a bit. There’s room on the baffle for some water to go strait and then the rest is back and off the side. It blows the floating plants around and the wisteria right there sways a little. So it is moving. He went two days without the baffle but he would have to swim a little sideways on that half of the tank. He could do it, but I’m sure he likes this better. I can also increase the flow speed to help with movement too. Just haven’t wanted to mess with it with him flaring all the time the first few days and then glass surfing all day. I’ll slowly increase it. He’s been working on his nest more so I’m starting to feel ok with his mood being alright so he should be fine with more flow.

I’ve been wondering if they were stress lines since they’re broken up and just not going away. I wonder if he was solid grey the first day because he wasn’t feeling great in his little store
I love him and want to make sure he’s as healthy as possible. Hope he’s like you said and ok with just his scales changing a bit.

edit: increased flow to max and he’s swimming fine with the buffer helping disperse it but there’s definitely more of a flow going. It didn’t mess up his nest which it would have done without the buffer.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.