Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was out in the field for 3 weeks for work and had my coworker taking care of my Betta. When I came back he would just lay on his side at the bottom of the tank, only swimming up for air, he seems to have issues swimming to the top, and he seems to be losing his colour. I have taken him out of the tank into a smaller container so he doesn't have to struggle for air, I have done daily 50/50 water changes and tried feeding him a thawed frozen pea but he won't eat anything. Was wondering if anyone had any ideas on what else I could try?

Attachments

·
Registered
230 Posts
I was out in the field for 3 weeks for work and had my coworker taking care of my Betta. When I came back he would just lay on his side at the bottom of the tank, only swimming up for air, he seems to have issues swimming to the top, and he seems to be losing his colour. I have taken him out of the tank into a smaller container so he doesn't have to struggle for air, I have done daily 50/50 water changes and tried feeding him a thawed frozen pea but he won't eat anything. Was wondering if anyone had any ideas on what else I could try?
Oh boy I'm really sorry that he's not doing well, so hard to come back to that. What size tank was he in before? Have you dosed with any aquarium salt or stress guard? Something to give him a little boost?
I can't see the picture clearly and not knowing how much they fed the fish or what the water parameters are its hard to say if there's something else going on. But it almost sounds like overfeeding.

If you can fill this out it might help others give you advice: https://www.bettafish.com/99-betta-fish-diseases-emergencies/612810-please-read-before-posting-fill-out-form-so-we-can-best-help-your-betta.html

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Housing:
How many gallons is your tank? 5
Does it have a filter? Yes
Does it have a heater?No
What temperature is your tank? Am getting a thermometer today but it would be "room" temperature
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?No
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind? Two snails, there was a third but either died or was eaten (I came back from 3 weeks in the field and noticed an empty shell so I am unsure how it died)

Food:
What food brand do you use? Nutrafin Max
Do you feed flakes or pellets? Pellets
Freeze-dried?No
How often do you feed your Betta? How much? Monday-Friday: 2 pellets when I arrive at work, 2 when I leave. He gets nothing on weekends or long weekends

Maintenance:
Before your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change? Monthly, unless water started to become unclear
What percentage of water did you change? 50
What is the source of your water? Tap water that has been conditioned
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water? I used a turkey baster
What additives do you use? What brand of conditioner? Aqueon Betta Bowl Plus

Water Parameters:
What are your water parameters? Please give exact numbers. If tested by pet store please get exact numbers. "Fine" or "Safe" won't help us help you. Important: Test your water *before* the regular water change; not after one.

Ammonia: 0-0.5ppm (unclear between 0 and 0.5 colour indicator)
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: 0ppm
pH: 7.0
Hardness (GH): 180
Alkalinity (KH): 120

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms? Originally seemed lethargic after I introduced the snails to clean some of the brown algae that was growing on the gravel back in December but he was still swimming a bit and eating food. I came back from field work first week of February and on Feb 11, he stopped seeming to want food.
How has your Betta’s appearance changed? Some discoloration, fins seem to have narrowed
How has your Betta’s behavior changed? Lethargic, laying on the bottom all the time, doesn't respond excitedly when I talk to him anymore
Is your Betta still eating? No
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how? After doing some googling, I started putting in some Bettafix on Feb.16
Does your Betta have any history of being ill? No
How long have you owned your Betta? 7 months
Was he or she ill or suffering some sort of damage when purchased? No

Attachments

·
Registered
31 Posts
It sounds like he has swim bladder disease. He was either fed to much, his food is making him sick, or the tank is to cold for him to digest is food properly. The last two I listed are definitely the culprits. Room temp is too low for a betta fish, they need to be kept at about 78 to 80 Fahrenheit, and the temperature needs to stay consistent, so buy a heater! The food you are feeding him right now is super full of meals, meals are grains and bettas can't digest grains or peas. You need daphnia, it does the same thing peas are said to do, but the betta can digest it. If you get freeze dried daphnia make sure you soak them in water before you give them to the betta. Other than that keep him on bettafix, and wait for some more advice. The people on this site have helped me save two fish so far, so they know their stuff.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts