Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mr. Richards has been recovering from mild fin rot that he had when we got him from the pet store. He's been doing really well lately, but then all these little patches showed up and I'm a little concerned, especially because I don't think the ones on his top fin showed up until today. His top fin has always looked super healthy until today.

He lives in a ten gallon cycled and heated tank. It's about 78 degrees, the pH level is usually around 7-ish. No ammonia. Nitrate levels at about 5-10 ppm. We conduct weekly 10-15% water changes and tests, and the water always comes out excellent.

The only tank mates he has are two nerite snails. There's a nice little variety of aquatic plants in there, a leaf hammock, a barrel, a little pirate ship and pirate, and a log that releases tannins.

He has a very healthy appetite! We feed him small pellets. Usually five in the morning and then five more and a little dried bloodworm in the evening. He's never showed any signs of overfeeding.

He's also a very happy camper from what I can tell. He swims all over the place; no glass surfing, no gasping at the surface, no lethargy. He loves to explore the various plants and hiding places. Last week he even built a bubble nest, which was really encouraging to see!

The tank also has an LED light, which we've been leaving off lately since the room he's in is nice and bright on its own. The tank never receives any direct sunlight, though.

Ever since we diagnosed and began treating the fin rot (in late March), his color has come back beautifully and we've been hoping to see some regrowth happen. But now these strange little patches have showed up!

I'm happy to answer any additional questions. I just want to know if my little man is okay!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,369 Posts
Do the patches show all the way through his fins and look the same on the other side? Like thin membrane? Or are these white patches only on one side of his fin? Not seen from the other side.

·
Premium Member
1,369 Posts
I’m going to be honest, I’m not sure. Sometimes fungal infections show up after bacterial infections. I wanted to be sure it was thinning membrane and not a collection of white stuff sticking to him. Its possible he is rubbing against something in his tank. Bettas are very curious and tend to squeeze into things, under things, around things.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I’m going to be honest, I’m not sure. Sometimes fungal infections show up after bacterial infections. I wanted to be sure it was thinning membrane and not a collection of white stuff sticking to him. Its possible he is rubbing against something in his tank. Bettas are very curious and tend to squeeze into things, under things, around things.
Yeah, I was worried about that. I've seen him navigate his way around the tank plenty of times and we've made sure it's all safe for him to swim through/around so I don't think he should be rubbing against anything. Either way, today when I was feeding him dinner I noticed he's losing a little bit more of the top of his tail fin. I'm so confused. He's been showing signs of improvement for almost two months, and now it's back to this. I just don't know what I'm doing wrong! It may be time to try a more aggressive treatment method.

·
RusselltheShihTzu
21,495 Posts
Please fill out this form. If you could include a photo from when you received him it would help.

Have his fins improved? Did they ever have holes? In one of the photos he appears to have at least one hole in his dorsal.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts