Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Maki is pretty much showing every classic sign of Dropsy but I can't figure out what would've caused it. I just did a tank cleaning Monday night, so it hasn't even been 48 hours when I took these water parameter readings. Maybe if I'd tested before the cleaning it would've enlightened me on something. I don't know.

My biggest hopeful note is that he's not necessarily lethargic. He's much slower than his usual self however he's still slowly moving around the tank just with break on the bottom to rest. When he swims up to the top there's no struggle and he also swims back down, he doesn't just "sink", and when he rests he's not tilting to the side he stays upright. I've never dealt with any swim issues but those seemed like a good signs to me.

Basically I've read so many threads on here regarding Dropsy my head is just a mess with the info and I wanted smarter and clearer headed people to okay my current plan:
  • 80 F is a good temperature
  • Remove filter media
  • Put Maki in breeder box so he's closer to the surface
  • Add 8 teaspoons (over the hour, pre-dissolved in tank water) epsom salt (10 gallon tall tank that isn't filled to the brim. I figure 8-9 actual water gallons?)

- Tomorrow do a large, 90%? water change, no epsom salt, and start the Kanaplex as soon as it arrives in the mail.

Housing:
How many gallons is your tank? 10 gallon
Does it have a filter? Yes
Does it have a heater? Yes
What temperature is your tank? 78-80 F
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind? No

Food:
What food brand do you use? New Life Spectrum Betta "regular pellet"
Do you feed flakes or pellets? Pellets
Freeze-dried? Never
How often do you feed your Betta? How much? 9am and 6pm, 3-4 pellets each time

Maintenance:
Before your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change? Weekly
What percentage of water did you change? 50%
What is the source of your water? Tap
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water? Vacuum
What additives do you use other than conditioner? What brand of conditioner? Seachem Prime

Water Parameters:
What are your water parameters? Please give exact numbers. If tested by pet store please get exact numbers. "Fine" or "Safe" won't help us help you. Important: Test your water before the regular water change; not after one.

Ammonia:
Nitrite: 0 ppm
Nitrate: 5 ppm (I attached a photo of the tests but I think that's correct)
pH: 7.6 (this is very steady)
Hardness (GH): I have the API Freshwater Master Test Kit but this is not on there. Can a pet store give me these readings?
Alkalinity (KH): See above.

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms? This morning.
How has your Betta’s appearance changed? Pine-coning/bloating and a "pale" belly.
How has your Betta’s behavior changed? Very chill, mostly sitting on the floor, only swimming up for air. He usually flares at me and my phone when I take photos but he doesn't care right now.
Is your Betta still eating? I did not feed him this morning because I noticed he was bloated but he ate normally yesterday. Normally he's a typical piggy betta.
Have you started treating your Betta? No. I did buy Epsom Salt and have Kanaplex on order to get here tomorrow so I can be ready. Also bought a net "breeder box" to help him stay closer to the surface. My tank is tall so I thought that may help him rest easier.
Does your Betta have any history of being ill? No, only had him for 4 months.
How long have you owned your Betta? 4 months.
Was he or she ill or suffering some sort of damage when purchased? No, he's always been happy and feisty.

PLEASE PROVIDE CLEAR PHOTOS An overhead to show the pine-coning and two of his side that highlight the pale/discoloration.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I know very little about Dropsy, I would wait for someone else’s verification.

You can get alkalinity, pH and ammonia tested at a pet store and you should be able to find at least ammonia test kits at any pet store to supplement what you have.

Hows he doing currently?

·
Registered
105 Posts
If you are missing those chemicals in your test kit pet smart sells the api testing chemicals for Ammonia and ph separately if you want that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 chihuahuas, a chameleon, 4 betta splendens and 1 betta mahachai.
369 Posts
Hey there. All seems good but you don't want to add epsom salt to the tank-do it in a 1 gal bath form instead. Up water changes according to Kanaplex dosing label.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well he seemed to be doing okay for a while but went downhill fast. He ended up passing the day after the symptoms started.

Still don’t know what caused it but thanks to those that responded to my panicked post.
At least now I have the meds on hand. I’ll spend the weekend cleaning everything and getting it cycling again so when I’m ready for the next fish it’ll be good to go.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts