Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Oh yay, 2 posts in the sick section in the same day D:!!

So, today, I ended up with 3 sick betta's. Everyone is in their own tank with a heater and doing just fine so far. But now, I have a 4th one.

He's a Halfmoon, however, his fins are so clamped, it doesn't look like it.

Can anything be done for him or is it already too late? He either sits at the top or at the bottom and moves from time to time. I just changed out his water and he is currently floating in another tank until I can figure out where to put him (All the tanks I have at the moment are occupied by the sick fish)

·
Registered
3,853 Posts
Wow...
Can you provide some background info on him - almost anything can cause clamped fins but I have never seen them clamped that badly before.

How often are water changes? rapid gill movement? Do his gills always stick out like that? Did you forget to add the water conditioner?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I have only had him for a couple hours, so there is not that much to tell about him sadly. My friend bought him to me from a pet store.

His gills are not like that at the moment, I added Stress Coat/Water Conditioner and have him with a heater at 80 degrees. He has currently calmed down, so its doesn't look like he is having a hard time breathing :eek:

·
Registered
3,853 Posts
Ah, I though you had him for a while. If he JUST came from a petstore, he may be clamped simply because the water he was in was horrible and the ammonia was high.

However, just to cover all bases - take a good look at him. Do you see anything that may be fuzzy, or looks like he was sprinkled in salt? Also if you have a flashlight, shine it on him and look for anything that looks gold dust or sprikles. This one may be a bit tricky as some bettas have a gold undertone to them.

Does he look bloated?

Since I can't say if he is sick or not - I would suggest clean, warm water and someplace dark so he can rest. Maybe add some AQ salt if you have it. 1 teaspoon per gallon, make sure its disolved first.

As for the CT with the dark spots - I looked up black spot disease and if that is what is causing the spots, it's actually a type of worm - however its normally marine fish like Tangs that get.

Once these worms start feeding on a host fish they acquire pigmentation, which causes the appearance of black spots about the size of a grain of salt on the body and fin membranes. Worms that freely move about on fish, the spots do not always remain stationary. On light colored fish they are easy to see, whereas on dark colored ones they may go unnoticed at first. Fish will scratch up against objects in an attempt to dislodge the parasites, and if allowed to progress the fish become lethargic, loss of appetite and colors occur, rapid respiration develops, and secondary bacterial infections can invade damaged tissue sites.
The Life Cycle of These Worms

• Living in the substrate until mature, an adult worm seeks out a host fish.
  • After feeding for about six days, it falls off into the substrate.
  • About five days later the worm's body ruptures and releases a new population of young worms, and the cycle starts again, but in larger numbers.
Have you noticed any of the spots moving? The treatment that was given was a freshwater dip and a formalin bath. I'm thinking maybe the spots are something else? You can try asking in the other fish section or on tropical fishkeeping (sister site) about the spots. I don't know a thing about other fish - especially saltwater ones

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh noes D:

Well, he definitely is not fuzzy, no ich, no Velvet (I have 2 females my friend also dropped off for me to take care of who do, but they are quickly recovering) and he is not bloated.

Alright! I already added some aquarium salt before he was put in the water :) Hopefully it helps~

Oh gosh. That-that sounds nasty >o< I have always been squeamish with worms on animals nyyyeeehhhh. I actually have not seen the spots moving, I will have to watch him for awhile and see if they do :eek:

Thank you for the advice! I just posted in the other forum, so hopefully, someone knows what to do :)

·
Registered
3,853 Posts
For the HM - have you tried feeding him? did he eat? also keep an eye out for white stringy poop.

Also, you can try pming either oldfishlady or sakura8 for help with both this guy and the CT. I have also gotten help from Myates in the past but I havent seen them online in a while.

Is it just the angel or is his head on the floor and his butt is floating up in the air a bit?

·
Registered
980 Posts
I know you said clamped, but it looks more like fin melt. I have no idea what causes it or how to treat it, but I've seen clamped and that's very bad.. especially for a HM.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
For the HM - have you tried feeding him? did he eat? also keep an eye out for white stringy poop.

Also, you can try pming either oldfishlady or sakura8 for help with both this guy and the CT. I have also gotten help from Myates in the past but I havent seen them online in a while.

Is it just the angel or is his head on the floor and his butt is floating up in the air a bit?
Yeah, I have tried feeding him, but I don't think he notices the food D: I am gonna try to see if he will eat a blood worm today.

Okay! :)

Nope, he was "head standing" major time when he arrived at my house, but now he's at a normal angel. I am surprised I woke up this morning to find him still alive really O: He's a little fighter! He moving a lot more this morning.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I know you said clamped, but it looks more like fin melt. I have no idea what causes it or how to treat it, but I've seen clamped and that's very bad.. especially for a HM.
D: Your right, I looked at some pictures and it definitely looks like fin melt! D:!! Noooooooo-

·
Registered
3,853 Posts
Is fin melt caused by bad water quality? I seen a thread on here a while ago with some fish that had it really bad. It literally looked like their tail was malted wax. I think the owner did daily water changes to fix the problem.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts