Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a college student and have had a male half moon betta for about a year and a half now. He is at college with me and has made several trips to and from my home and my school. He is a very lively and healthy fish. I just recently brought him home for Thanksgiving break. Therefore, he went on a decently long car ride. About two days after the trip, I just noticed that he has lost part of his tail fins. They used to be extremely long and flowing and are now rather short. However, I never noticed the lost fin floating in the tank, etc.

Is it possible that bettas can lose fins due to stress?

Is there possibly something different about the new water here at my house that is causing this? Could it be fin rot (however this seems to be a very sudden loss)?

I am really attached to this fish- any help would be appreciated. Will the fins grow back? Should I get medication, up my water temp, what should I do?

·
Registered
96 Posts
It sounds like he may be a bit stressed from the trip, and has started to bite his own fins. Sometimes, when Bettas, (especially ones with longer fins), start to stress, or sometimes when they get bored, they start to bite their own tails. The best thing to do is make sure the little guy is in an environment that he's familiar with, something calming, and work on keeping the water quality up to par. For good measure, adding a little aquarium salt may help with the healing process and help prevent infection.

If there's anything in the tank that may snag his fins, that could cause it as well, but from what I'm hearing, it sounds like it's stress-related.

·
Banned
1,555 Posts
If its stress related then stress coat plus it heals fins too! You can also ise salt as well for fin damage! Good luck with ou little guy!

·
Registered
702 Posts
Sounds like biting. He's probably just a little stressed from travel. If there's no black or red looking edges around the missing parts of the fins, then it probably isn't fin rot.

Also...Ilovebettasbk11, you want to put what kind of salt for future recommendations you make. Just putting "salt" can make people think like...kitchen salt. And that's definitely not what they want to use! No offense or anything. Just wanted to clarify that for the OP.

I have a tail biter and I usually just take the clean warm water route. No problems so far. The strangest thing about tail biting is you'll pretty much never see them do it, so it can be hard to tell.

·
Banned
1,555 Posts
Sounds like biting. He's probably just a little stressed from travel. If there's no black or red looking edges around the missing parts of the fins, then it probably isn't fin rot.

Also...Ilovebettasbk11, you want to put what kind of salt for future recommendations you make. Just putting "salt" can make people think like...kitchen salt. And that's definitely not what they want to use! No offense or anything. Just wanted to clarify that for the OP.

I have a tail biter and I usually just take the clean warm water route. No problems so far. The strangest thing about tail biting is you'll pretty much never see them do it, so it can be hard to tell.
Oh haha how funny my bad lol yes op its aquarium salt not salt like kitchen salt lol

1 - 5 of 5 Posts