Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a five gallon tank that is heated, filtered, and has an unknown number of Malaysian Trumpet snails and Pond snails in it (the snails may be bladder and not pond, in not sure).I would like to add a Betta fish to my tank, is this a safe thing to do? I have read online that Betta fish eat small snails and I do not want my future Betta to kill its self by over eating snails. I have tried to keep only Betta fish in the past without success but I would like try again. Would it be alright to add a Betta fish to my snail tank?

·
Registered
627 Posts
I can't see any reason why not, as long as the tank is otherwise set up & taken care of properly. Many of us have snails in their tanks (sometimes on purpose, other times not so much) and I've never heard of a betta getting sick from eating too many of them.

I have MTS in one of my tanks and my betta was interested in them when I first added him, but quickly gave up when he realized their shells were too tough to get into. Another betta who lived in the same tank before never even noticed the snails existed.

Because you say you haven't had luck with bettas in the past, be sure to check out the great information posts we have stickied in the forum on cycling, water changes, food choices, etc- we want to help you succeed!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can't see any reason why not, as long as the tank is otherwise set up & taken care of properly. Many of us have snails in their tanks (sometimes on purpose, other times not so much) and I've never heard of a betta getting sick from eating too many of them.

I have MTS in one of my tanks and my betta was interested in them when I first added him, but quickly gave up when he realized their shells were too tough to get into. Another betta who lived in the same tank before never even noticed the snails existed.

Because you say you haven't had luck with bettas in the past, be sure to check out the great information posts we have stickied in the forum on cycling, water changes, food choices, etc- we want to help you succeed!
Thank you!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Yeah, snails and bettas get along fine. For the first few days the betta may nip at your snails eyes and body. This is if you get an aggressive betta though. Watch them like a hawk. But they should do ok together.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Rams horn and Malaysian Trumpet snails are perfect Betta tank mates. My Betta loves snails, he thinks they taste great

Trumpet snails are great because they dig trough the substrate consuming waste and releasing any gas pocket that may build up in the substrate.

Rams horns consume dead or decaying plant matter, soft algae, uneaten food and fallen tank mates.

Mystery snails are OK but they tend to have a bigger bio load and suffer from shell erosion in soft water.

Nerite snails just lay eggs everywhere that never hatch and basically rot in the tank removing the eggs can be a pain in the you know where.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts