Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
They are perfectly fine to breed, just make sure people will actually want to but the fry if you decide to breed the common petshop vt since not many people will want those ones.. But if you find a beautiful betta that has good form and good colour then I dont see why you shouldnt breed it

·
Registered
627 Posts
They are "compatible," in that they will get the deed done. It's just like trilobite says, the fry may be undesirable since breeding two pet store grade fish will give you a hundred little pet store grade fish. Why would someone buy yours when they can go to Petco and get a similar fish for $3? It might make it difficult for all of your fish to find good homes, especially if you have a large spawn. At that point, you have to ask yourself if you are potentially ready to give those fry that you can't rehome "forever" homes? If not, would you be prepared to cull (kill) those that simply couldn't be sold/adopted out?

Also, since you don't really know the background of pet store fish, you may end up with two genetically strong specimens that could give you lots of healthy fry, or those fish may have some issues in their ancestry that could give you deformed or otherwise non-viable fry. Then you are faced with the possibility of culling a few or many of them.

As you can see, you are perfectly able to breed pet store fish, but you do have some questions to answer before you get into the deed. Don't do this before you have all of those questions answered and you have a plan laid out.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have 5 CT betta's. 2 males in a separate 5 gal tank. and 3 females in a 10 gal.
I live in a community that has a lot of children/teens age about 9-15 that love seeing my betta's when they come over for a party or event.

·
Registered
7,813 Posts
You CAN breed petstore fish... I've done it, multiple times. However, the big issue is that it's next to impossible to find a petstore that sells high quality females or females that are anything but veiltails or crowntails, neither of which are particularly desirable.

You can't just go putting two fish together that look nice... A veiltail x crowntail cross will produce messy fins and fish that very few people will want. Same with a pure veiltail spawn (unless you're breeding very nice veiltails, preferably towards a goal), or a low quality crowntail spawn.

If you're seriously looking at breeding, it's worth spending a bit of cash to get a quality pair.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.