Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Velatia, Female Veiltail Betta, Teal Color. Paradise, Male Paradise Betta, Royal Blue w/ Yellow Fins
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! I have two Betta, a female Veiltail and a Male “Paradise” (still figuring out what he really is). Recently my 20 gallon tank has become unoccupied after baby-sitting a baby painted turtle and I wish to build a community tank. I would like to include one of my Betta, specifically the female, into the community tank but I am unsure of what would be a good stocking idea to ensure stability. Suggestions? Also im going for a live plants tank so any advice would help! Thank you!

·
Super Moderator
23,872 Posts
If there was a reptile in that tank you need to really deep clean before adding fish.

A 20 high would be fine as a community tank. You could have a shoal (6+) Cory for the bottom level and a couple of shoals of Nano fish for the middle level. If the male is a long-fin, avoid Neon Tetra as they can be quite nippy. With the female they would be fine.

·
Registered
Velatia, Female Veiltail Betta, Teal Color. Paradise, Male Paradise Betta, Royal Blue w/ Yellow Fins
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If there was a reptile in that tank you need to really deep clean before adding fish.

A 20 high would be fine as a community tank. You could have a shoal (6+) Cory for the bottom level and a couple of shoals of Nano fish for the middle level. If the male is a long-fin, avoid Neon Tetra as they can be quite nippy. With the female they would be fine.
I saw that cleaning the tank with salt and vinegar would be okay since I can’t use soap to clean the tank so I did that. If you have another suggestion please do tell! Also, I was looking at guppies or tetras and do you recommend a specific breed of Cory?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I saw that cleaning the tank with salt and vinegar would be okay since I can’t use soap to clean the tank so I did that. If you have another suggestion please do tell! Also, I was looking at guppies or tetras and do you recommend a specific breed of Cory?
Currently my female is with a Golden Snail and my Male with a Nerite snail so I assume they’re pretty friendly? They don’t pay much attention to them

·
Super Moderator
23,872 Posts
So sorry, I didn't see that you had responded.

Always have a back-up plan as Betta can be unpredictable. Not usually; but possibly. In 40+ years I've only had a few Betta that did fine in a community setting for a while and then didn't.

I like Habrosus/Salt and Pepper Cory because they are smaller. Panda, Albino, etc., are also nice.You have a lot of great choices for tank mates.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.