Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a fully cycled 10 gallon tank that has fake silk plants with 2 cobra endlers guppies. One of them is a mix with a fancy guppy but he still looks like a normal endler other than being a little bigger. I also have a blue male betta. He gets along fine with the endlers but will flare at them occasionally. I want to know if I can add any female bettas and if yes, how many? Also I want to get maybe 1 or 2 more endlers. Would that be ok?

·
Registered
8,887 Posts
While I personally would not keep males with females after a couple of bad experiences, I definitely would not attempt it in a 10 gallon tank. A 10 gallon tank doesn't offer much space for a fish to get away from the others if it is being attacked.

Honestly, I think get into wild bettas if you want to house males and females together. There's just too much aggression inherent in most splendens to make it work successfully.

·
Registered
7,813 Posts
Besides the short amount of time they are together to breed, which I would not suggest unless you are absolutely prepared and know what you are doing...

There is, but it is a very advanced aspect of the hobby that involves breeding for a calm temperament and keeping them differently then normally... That, or buying a bunch of babies and having one turn out to a male. Either way, there is still a huge risk of stress induced disease or death from injury after the male targets a female or the female(s) target the male.

Either way in my opinion keeping males and females together is a risk that is likely to come with consequences that are completely preventable.

·
Registered
8,887 Posts

This is one of my males a couple days after nearly being killed by his female (these are 'wild' bettas not standard splendens and so can be housed together). She did the same thing a second time and they are now completely separated.

I have no idea why she suddenly attacked him like that. I got no warning at all.

I thought I'd just offer some photographic evidence up to show what can happen when you try to house a species of fish that are quite aggressive and territorial together.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts