Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I got a new (to me) 55g (yes, totally hooked, obsessed, and unapologetic!) and I want to know if I can take off the top rim. It has a 10" wide, thick glass support strut across the top. I am going to make a waterfall riparium and I don't want the rim if I can get away with it. Thoughts?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
19,263 Posts
I would am not sure how well glued rimmed are as opposed to rimless. I would find someone who builds aquariums and ask if it's possible.

I had a rimless fail and when I asked our local pet store (been in business with the same owners for 40+ years) they said the way to brace a rimless is from the inside edges. Wish I could explain it but it is like having the black rim (only in clear glass) around the inside diameter.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had a rimless fail and when I asked our local pet store (been in business with the same owners for 40+ years) they said the way to brace a rimless is from the inside edges. Wish I could explain it but it is like having the black rim (only in clear glass) around the inside diameter.
Hmmm... I thought rimless were just that, no rim, just a single piece of glass all the way to the top. I know the larger sized rimless aquariums are made extra thick. I have seen tutorials about how to remove the rim. Just wondering since I was only going to fill it about 1/3 with water.....

·
Super Moderator
19,263 Posts
Four separate pieces of glass or acrylic held together by glue. Nothing sounds quite like the BANG of a rimless splitting a seam.

One third filled should be fine. But for anyone wanting to do the same and fill more than that the information on bracing.

Can't wait to see photos!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts