Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of getting an absolutely BEAUTIFUL mulit-colored crowntail I saw at Walmart yesterday night (I fell in love!).

The only thing though is that I'm not sure if I have the money for a proper home and all the equipment. (Though I'm pretty sure I'm close. I have $90 and some change)

I wanna get the poor thing out of there because a beauty like him and his siblings doesn't deserve to die there in that awful place (though when I went last night there weren't giant clumps of dead goldfish anymore. They are improving).

I'll include everything I plan on buying in another post but I definitely plan on getting the tetra 5 gallon kit, a heater, and water conditioner.

My sister already has a 5 gallon tank (although I'm not sure if she has the kit or just the tank I'm not sure if she has a heater yet), gravel, and accessories. So I might give him or one of his siblings to her as an early partial birthday gift if I can't get a hold of everything I need.

What I'm worried about though is cycling.

Can I keep a 5 gallon uncycled for a week or so until I get everything worked out and can get started on the process?

If not I have a rather big pickle jar that I could use as a temporary home.... I just don't want to do that you know? especially since I won't have the right heater and it apparently takes so long if you don't have already established media. =/

Sorry for the long background story and explanation.

My other questions will be listed with the list of supplies I plan on getting.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
BETTA SUPPLY LIST

5 gal. Rectangle Kit from Wal-Mart........................................................ ……$30.00
Hydor Mini Aquarium Heater................................................................ ……$15.00
Water Conditioner............................................................................... ……..$5.00
Aquarium Salt...................................................................................... ……..$2.00
Net...................................................................................................... ……..$5.00
Siphon................................................................................................. ……..$8.00
Gravel Vacuum ................................................................................... ….…$10.00
2 Buckets............................................................................................. ….....$8.00
TOTAL.................................................................................................. ……$ 83.00
So one of my questions is can I use the gravel vaccum as a siphon or do I have to have a siphon separate?

Have other people that bought the 5 gallon kit had problems with the filter being too strong?
How much does ammonia and a test kit cost usually?

·
Registered
852 Posts
Everything sounds good, just some more tips. I thought the Gravel Vac and Siphon are the same thing, correct me if I am wrong. Wal-Mart has a Tetra Heater, it might be cheaper, then the Hydor Mini. For a net, get a Brine Shrimp net if you can.

Have other people that bought the 5 gallon kit had problems with the filter being too strong? I bought the 10 gallon kit and never had a problem with the filter.

How much does ammonia and a test kit cost usually? That depends, in between 6-30 dollars.

EDIT: Sorry, just thought I would give additional tips. :D

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No thank you! That's wonderful!
XD I meant to correct the heater thing, I was searching heater threads yesterday and found not many people like the hydor mini so I was gonna get the tetra heater. =]

Brine shrimp net! =] Got it! =]

1 - 4 of 4 Posts