Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I've been lurking since Christmas, when I was given one of those desktop tanks for three fishes. I've never had fish before, but these fish are awesome. Right now I'm almost done cycling a divided 20g long tank with some live plants and a good heater, and my husband just found out we're moving to Germany this summer.

I can find plenty of info on taking my cats, but nothing about taking the bettas. Can anyone help me out? Do I have to send them to a transshipper? Can I mail them to whoever is sponsoring us on post? Or take them in my checked luggage? I've never lived overseas before, so this is going to be an adventure.

·
Registered
908 Posts
Not sure about the laws, but I wouldn't put them in checked luggage, with the temperature fluctuations and checked luggage isn't handled very well at all, flung, thrown, kicked, trampled. I would see if I could carry them on.

·
Reference Team
7,702 Posts
I'm not sure how you'd easily check the applicable laws for importing fish into Germany. Maybe your easiest research would be to contact a local transhipper, like Linda Olsen in CO. You might find a name on Aquabid.

·
Registered
Tao: Butterfly Halfmoon, Ivan: Kitty!, Firefly: TB Horse<3
2,685 Posts
Wow, that's quite the dilemma...

I would probably put them all in bags the way that transhippers do it, and pack them nicely in a box. Use a mild heat pack if you want as well. I would carry them with you, on the plane and everything and in the car on your way to Germany. I'm not sure if you can do this, but I would try it. They may check it, but I doubt they will find any sort of dangerous substance...again, I'm unsure but I'm just trying to help.

·
Registered
908 Posts
I know domestically most of the time you can carry them on as long as the liquid is under the approved amount and you call them ahead of time like you would with any live pet. But internationally, i'm not sure. You'd have to check with the airline. I would probably just have them shipped.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think shipping them might be the best option. I'll be carrying two cats and I don't know the airline yet, but most of them seem to have a two-pet maximum. I just didn't know if they'd get stopped going into the country or if they'd need any kind of health certificate.

·
Registered
63 Posts
You could always put them in a container that follows the liquid max restrictions and bring some extra water with you and add that to their containers for the flight (cause they won't check once your flying).

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I guess...last time I flew everything had to fit inside a quart zippy bag. I suppose if I got a bunch of travel bottles and had tank water in them, I could add that after I was through security. Once I know the airline I'll call and see if I can bring fish as a carryon. I also emailed a transshipper in Germany. I'm waiting to hear back.

·
Registered
132 Posts
dogs and cats only -- U need to call the airline and find out from them. But more then likely they will say no since u need vet records that are current for animals to fly. Maybe if you go on Jet blue they fly animals and their planes are controled temps. but I dont know if they fly overseas... good luck but ur best bet is shipping. And heck ship them to urself over there

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.