Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My poor betta has not been doing well (I have another post asking for help) and he just in not doing better. His water test strips are normal, he ate a bit of bloodworms yesterday but he just looks worse today. He lays there just opening his mouth. Can I somehow get him out of his misery?? I just had to put down my cat of 17 years because he was suffering. Can I help this fish somehow?? Thank you :(

·
Registered
135 Posts
My poor betta has not been doing well (I have another post asking for help) and he just in not doing better. His water test strips are normal, he ate a bit of bloodworms yesterday but he just looks worse today. He lays there just opening his mouth. Can I somehow get him out of his misery?? I just had to put down my cat of 17 years because he was suffering. Can I help this fish somehow?? Thank you :(
Hi Goldy, I'm sorry to hear about your boy. Yes, you can "put him to sleep" with clove oil (any essential oils store will have it). Some say to slowly add, but I found that quicker is almost better...from what I've seen, they either slowly suffocate over the period of 30 minutes or pass on (albeit panicking a little) in a solid 5 seconds (when this happened to my boy I cried quite hard, as I didn't mean to do it quickly, but he almost seemed better off than doing it in a slow suffocation format). Maybe that was just me trying to feel better about the situation, and it is obviously your choice how you'd want to do it. There are multiple sites and YouTube videos to look at for clove oil use.

If you use clove oil, it is imperative you use another method to make sure they have passed on. This method is basically temperature shocking, where you dump them into VERY cold water just in case they're not quite gone.

Please do your research prior to doing this though, as I cannot remember the exact dosage, and make sure to put them in a separate cup so you don't contaminate your tank with clove oil.

The other option is to be with them and let them pass on their own. Some fish owners choose to do this unless it's been going on for days.

Again, I'm so sorry to hear about your boy.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Hi Goldy, I'm sorry to hear about your boy. Yes, you can "put him to sleep" with clove oil (any essential oils store will have it). Some say to slowly add, but I found that quicker is almost better...from what I've seen, they either slowly suffocate over the period of 30 minutes or pass on (albeit panicking a little) in a solid 5 seconds (when this happened to my boy I cried quite hard, as I didn't mean to do it quickly, but he almost seemed better off than doing it in a slow suffocation format). Maybe that was just me trying to feel better about the situation, and it is obviously your choice how you'd want to do it. There are multiple sites and YouTube videos to look at for clove oil use.

If you use clove oil, it is imperative you use another method to make sure they have passed on. This method is basically temperature shocking, where you dump them into VERY cold water just in case they're not quite gone.

Please do your research prior to doing this though, as I cannot remember the exact dosage, and make sure to put them in a separate cup so you don't contaminate your tank with clove oil.

The other option is to be with them and let them pass on their own. Some fish owners choose to do this unless it's been going on for days.

Again, I'm so sorry to hear about your boy.
I just looked at your other post, and honestly, I would continue to just try feeding him with the live bloodworms. Obviously if he's in starvation mode he won't eat a lot at first. But I'd try and give the little guy a bit more of a chance. It's good you put him into a smaller tank. Do you have a betta leaf he can sit on if he decides to swim to the surface?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just looked at your other post, and honestly, I would continue to just try feeding him with the live bloodworms. Obviously if he's in starvation mode he won't eat a lot at first. But I'd try and give the little guy a bit more of a chance. It's good you put him into a smaller tank. Do you have a betta leaf he can sit on if he decides to swim to the surface?
ok I just feel like he is suffering. I just gave him some worms and he attempted to eat them but they just stayed in his mouth. I took a small video but not sure how to upload it

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yes I have a live plant in there where he can rest. He rested for a moment but then went back down again

·
Registered
41 Posts
I am very sorry for your fish's condition and Im sorry you are in this position now. If you have tried all you can and it has really come down to putting him to sleep then Ill tell you how I do it. But afterwords,... before you buy a replacement fish, please be sure that your tank is cycled and stable and heated and healthy so you dont go through this again.

I personally feel the clove oil is cruel and too slow. It is said to calm and sedate the fish but I feel that's just the fish owner calming and sedating themselves. Clove oil burns/stings our mucous membranes if you get any in your eye or nose (just like cinammon or eucaliptis). How do you thing it feels on his gills and eyes? It kills by coating his gills and suffocating him while (I feel) irritating his membranes. I could never do that to a pet.

I take my gravely sick or injured fish and put them in a small cup like dixie or solo cup with just enough water to wet his gills. Maybe half way up his body with him on his side. Then put him in a very cold freezer; a chest freezer if you have one. The small amount of water keeps him from suffocating/panicking/suffering and the deep freeze rapidly drops his temp so he, as a cold blooded animal, slows down/passes Very quickly before he actually starts to freeze.

When you first put him in the cup/water he may splash a little but the less water the better because if he can't swim round n round he will stop struggling quickly. He will accept that he's stuck. 10 minutes in a chest freezer or 15-20 in a normal kitchen fridge freezer will do it but I leave them for an hour to be Absolutely sure.

The deep cold makes their matabolism shut down and ends them. They don't die from the freezing. They pass before they begin to freeze. The less water the faster their temp drops. Just enough water to keep their gills wet.

Im sorry for your loss.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am very sorry for your fish's condition and Im sorry you are in this position now. If you have tried all you can and it has really come down to putting him to sleep then Ill tell you how I do it. But afterwords,... before you buy a replacement fish, please be sure that your tank is cycled and stable and heated and healthy so you dont go through this again.

I personally feel the clove oil is cruel and too slow. It is said to calm and sedate the fish but I feel that's just the fish owner calming and sedating themselves. Clove oil burns/stings our mucous membranes if you get any in your eye or nose (just like cinammon or eucaliptis). How do you thing it feels on his gills and eyes? It kills by coating his gills and suffocating him while (I feel) irritating his membranes. I could never do that to a pet.

I take my gravely sick or injured fish and put them in a small cup like dixie or solo cup with just enough water to wet his gills. Maybe half way up his body with him on his side. Then put him in a very cold freezer; a chest freezer if you have one. The small amount of water keeps him from suffocating/panicking/suffering and the deep freeze rapidly drops his temp so he, as a cold blooded animal, slows down/passes Very quickly before he actually starts to freeze.

When you first put him in the cup/water he may splash a little but the less water the better because if he can't swim round n round he will stop struggling quickly. He will accept that he's stuck. 10 minutes in a chest freezer or 15-20 in a normal kitchen fridge freezer will do it but I leave them for an hour to be Absolutely sure.

The deep cold makes their matabolism shut down and ends them. They don't die from the freezing. They pass before they begin to freeze. The less water the faster their temp drops. Just enough water to keep their gills wet.

Im sorry for your loss.
oh wow I really don't like either of these options. I just put on some light to give him some worms and he immediately swam up but ignored the works and then kinda swam spazzed swimming up and down. Laid at the bottom for a bit. Then went back up to get a worm, floated down with the worm in his mouth and sat like that for awhile until he finally ate it. Idk what to do.

·
Registered
135 Posts

Im sorry for your loss.
If I have to put down a fish again, I will definitely use this method. It was scarring to see my first betta struggle like he did, even if it was for a solid 5 seconds. It sounds a lot more painless.

·
Registered
135 Posts
oh wow I really don't like either of these options. I just put on some light to give him some worms and he immediately swam up but ignored the works and then kinda swam spazzed swimming up and down. Laid at the bottom for a bit. Then went back up to get a worm, floated down with the worm in his mouth and sat like that for awhile until he finally ate it. Idk what to do.
How is he doing now? It sounds like he's fighting. Have you tried tannins? Aquarium salt?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
no I haven't tried either and never heard of tannins, what is that? I may have aquarium salt, I'll have to check

·
Registered
135 Posts
no I haven't tried either and never heard of tannins, what is that? I may have aquarium salt, I'll have to check
Tannins are available in Indian Almond Leaves and plain Rooibos (red) tea. It mimics their natural habitat (darker waters) and has antibacterial properties. I boil Rooibos (no caffeine) tea with no additives and it has really helped my bettas in the past. It may at least provide him so comfort.

This tea is available at most grocery stores. If you go with it, make sure it is plain and doesn't have caffeine in it.

·
Registered
135 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I did not find the tea today but will look more tomorrow. I am also going to purchase the Betta Spa just in case. I gave him some live black worms today and he ate but moved around jerkingly and then lays at the bottom 😕 his ammonia level is "safe"

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
today his ammonia level was high so I did a water change (about 50%) and today the betta spa came which I added
Water Plant Pet supply Underwater Aquatic plant

1 - 20 of 20 Posts