Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently got a new betta fish a while after my old one passed away. I got him from Petco, and his cup read Rose Petal Male. I hear that rose petal bettas are just more-finned versions of Half Moons, but my last half betta was a half moon with much longer fins. How do I know if my betta is adult or juvenile? How big do bettas grow, and do their fins keep growing too?

King, my current betta in his 5.5 gal heated tank.

My old betta, Blitz.

Unfortunately for Blitz, by the time he was out of the pet store he already had some fin damage. He had three very curled fins, most of which actually uncurled and recovered without too much crimping. King luckily hasn't seemed to have that problem, though his fins are rather short for a half moon-type betta. Would they eventually grow out to be longer?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Thanks, that did help! Do juvenile betta require any different care than adult betta? I hear that fry are more comfortable in smaller tanks, typically prefer slightly higher temperature, and need higher protein foods, more often feedings and a fuller belly. Is juvenile betta care more like adult betta care?

·
Registered
141 Posts
Interesting about the black eyes. My betta has very black eyes, wonder if hes older... got him only 3 weeks ago from petsmart.

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
I wouldn't go with the eyes as any signs. my 5 month old giant has black eyes. I know he's 5 months because I got him from a specialty store who knows the spawn dates.

It's hard to tell ages of bettas unless you know the breeder. Petco/Petsmart usually sells at 3 to 6 months of age.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow, thanks for all the information! ^_^ You guys helped. The only smaller tank I have is a 1 gal... he does seem a bit stressed sometimes in the 5.5 but I don't think I'll put him in the smaller tank, especially as it's unheated and unfiltered.

·
Reference Team
7,702 Posts
It is not common to find petstore fish much older than 90-days - usually younger. Breeders sell them as soon as they show color and form. They don't keep them any longer than they have to (would you?). Six months old is highly unusual. Your young fish will not grow appreciably nor his fins lengthen much. He will put on weight and become more bulky or robust.

Eye color and body color are inaccurate as a measure of age. There are too many other variables that account for differences in coloration. Most petstore fish are stressed, so their color is paler than a fish kept a few weeks in a suitable environment. Shiney or flat/matt coloration is a individual characteristic.

Any fish you buy at a petstore is no longer a juvenile (except for those poor unfortunate "baby Betta" they foist on the less knowledgeable customer).

Care for your fish as you would any adult Betta:

Temperature 78* to 80*
New Life Spectrum small fish formula or Omega One Betta Buffet pellets
Plenty of cover, especially topcover
Weekly 50% water changes, or more frequently if in a small tank
Prime water conditioner (by Seachem) a few drops daily in an uncycled tank. @-drops/gal with water changes.

A 5g tank should be cycled. This provides the best water quality for your fish.
CYCLING: the two-sentence tutorial

Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
567 Posts
I read somewhere you could measure their body length, from their nose to the butt of their tail, to determine their age. I'm not sure how true that is though. I wouldn't go by the eye colour though. My Kirito has gold eyes and my late Kaname had blue, Kirito is about a month younger than Kaname.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Unfortunately you cannot go by eye color. I have an older betta with bright blue eyes. Some bettas are smaller and some longer and all of similar age. Hallyx has given excellent advice. If you are worried he is stressed in a large area, add silk or better yet live plants. He is beautiful.

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
Eye color doesn't give any indication to age. I have 8 males, with eye colors ranging from black to light blue. All of their ages are within 3 months of each other, with the exception of the oldest being about a year old.

I've found that I can usually tell their age by their fin and body size. It's not reliable, since you can't really ever know their age unless you got them from a breeder, but it gives you a very, very general idea. Most Bettas in pet stores at 3-5 ish months old, so I'd just guesstimate looking at his growth over the next few months. I'm not sure if this is accurate, but I've read here that most male Betta's fin growth slows down at about 6 months of age.

He doesn't look too old to me, if he wasn't in the store long, he's probably as jadaBlu said, 6 months or less.

·
Registered
50 Posts
You can tell because adults eyes you cant realy see them. and you're fish is pretty healthy bright red and healthy fins.

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
I think they also get a little fatter once their around awhile too. There is just a different look to the eyes and body of a younger betta vs and older one.

·
Registered
63 Posts
There is absolutely no way any fish would prefer a smaller tank. More hiding spots and things for coverage? Sure. :) He's happy to have the space, trust me.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts