Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I got this plant in a cup with roughly 20 trumpet snails (which were split between three tanks, i don't care what your opinion on snails are, i love them to bits and they help keep things clean)

No pet store near me has trumpet snails so i had to order them online, the place i did said they'd put 'a plant' in with the snails for free, but weren't really specific about what plant it was. when i got it.... it was rather sad looking. we got a chill right before the package got to me and while the snails bounced back quickly the plant... didn't so much.

fast forward 3 weeks and low and behold the thing is still alive and even putting out two baby plants. Does anyone know what it is and how to go about spreading the smaller plants? i know nothing about planted tanks, all my other plants are plastic.

(okay i have no idea why they flipped upside down when i uploaded them but pfff i have no clue how to fix it)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
Does it have a bulb to it or just roots? If it's roots then it's a Dwarf Sagittaria. If it's a bulb then it could be an aponogeton species.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
no bulb, just very thin white roots. there's no stem to speak of at all either. it just goes straight to leaves.

if it is a dwarf sagittaria, how should i go about spreading any offshoots? just clip it and replant? or just leave it alone?

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
I personally leave them alone, plant in gravel/sand/substrate and let it run about to create some nice cover. Typically I'd wait for a few runners before cutting just to make sure that parent plant will be okay. Usually they will be, but that's just me lol.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've decided to cut the runners for now and try replanting the smaller plants down below. where the parent plant is now it would be hard for the runners to find more gravel on their own.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts